Mercyhurst cuts for a cure

Christy Schmidt, Contributing writer

On Friday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., students will be given the opportunity to contribute to an amazing cause, Cuts for Cancer. The event, originally senior Colin O’Connor’s idea, is being held in the Student Union. The Multicultural Activities Council and the Student Activities Council have worked together to make this event possible.

Students will be able to shave their heads in an effort to raise awareness for those fighting cancer. More specifically, the initiative of the event is to raise awareness for young adults fighting cancer.

Participants will also have the option of simply cutting their hair to donate and be made into wigs by Pantene. The required length to donate is a minimum of eight inches. The event will be collecting hair donations only.

The theme of the event is lavender, because lavender is the color of all cancers.

“We are trying to get speakers at the event,” Kay Mattena, Multicultural Student Activities Council member said. They are trying to get someone who is a survivor, as well as a caregiver of someone with cancer.

Matena has been sitting in the Student Union getting people to pledge to donate or shave their heads, and she herself will be donating.

“Five other people may be donating, and five for sure are shaving,” Mattena said.

Barbers from Simply Hair, as well as a few of the members’ parents will be cutting hair. For those shaving their heads, they are working on getting barbers who will be able to use straight razors.

Once the hair has been cut, they package the hair with the donor’s information on it, and ship it to Pantene. In a couple months, donors will get a thank-you card after the wig has been made.

There will also be information provided at the event, as they are partnering with an organization called Colleges Against Cancer, which will be there managing the food and the get well soon cards. There will be coloring pages, crafts, food and Tim Horton’s hot chocolate and coffee.