Men’s b-ball trounces RWC

Emma Werner

The Lakers huddle for a timeout. Monday’s 30-point blowout against Roberts Wesleyan lifted the Lakers to a 4-1 record for the season.

Emma Werner, Contributing Writer

The Mercyhurst men’s basketball team increased its record to 4-1 with a 81-51 win against the previously unbeaten Roberts Wesleyan College Red Hawks on Nov. 27.  The Red Hawks on paper were going to be a tough opponent.

“They were a 6-0 team,” said Laker junior Patrick Smith. “Definitely a tough team, but we came out with the win.”

That they did. The Lakers took the lead 2-0 early in the game, but soon after Roberts Wesleyan took the lead, 4-2.

However, this would be the only point in the game where Roberts ever had the lead.  Soon after, Smith scored a 3-pointer for the Lakers.  The Lakers maintained this lead all throughout the first half, finishing the half with a score of 39-18.

At the start of the second half, the Red Hawks turned up the intensity and began to do a full-court press.  This was meant to startle the Lakers, but the Lakers handled it well.  The Lakers handled the pressure with professionalism and kept their intensity up.

“We played well as a team,” said freshman Derrick Ellis Jr. “We played well on defense in the first half.”   Head coach Gary Manchel was pleased as well.  “I thought defensively we played well throughout the game,” he said.

It was a strong showing for the Lakers, whose next home game will be on Dec. 16. against Notre Dame of Ohio.