Student Emergency Fund supports Lakers

Rebecca Dunphy, News Editor

The semester is coming to an end and students are spread far and wide throughout the world, but that does not mean that Mercyhurst is done offering support.

The University recently announced its new Student Emergency Fund to offset urgent, short-term financial needs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“These funds will be used as part of the University’s overall strategy to help support our students during these unique times,” said Director of Annual Giving Courtney Olevnik. “This pool of funds, coupled with funding provided by the federal government’s CARES Act, will be strategically used for direct student aid, operational expenses in support of online learning and to provide assistance to offset losses of revenue through room and board and other related revenue.”

Students will continue to report financial need to the office of Student Financial Services, as they have in the past, and funding will be distributed on a case-by-case basis. There is no deadline to do so, as fundraising is on a continuous basis.

Director of Alumni Relations Lindsay Frank acknowledges that contributions have already been made by former Lakers. “Mercyhurst alumni are known for showing up and coming through when needed – in fact, that’s what all Lakers do,” said Frank. “The Student Emergency Fund is definitely something that our alumni have and will continue to support because it is simply in our nature to help out where needed. It is the spirit of Mercy to offer assistance, especially for a fellow Laker.”

In addition to ongoing efforts, Mercyhurst will be taking part in a new campaign entitled #GivingTuesdayNow on May 5. Though Giving Tuesday is traditionally held after Thanksgiving, efforts have been made throughout the world to offer a second global day of unity, given the current circumstances.

Mercyhurst will be participating in a soft and respectful way, with all money going directly to the Student Emergency Fund.

Those interested in donating can visit mercyhurst.edu/student-emergency-fund or contact Olevnik at colevnik@mercyhurst.edu. All donations are tax deductible and will be greatly appreciated by a Mercyhurst a student. Per the CARES Act, donors can claim up to $300 in charitable deductions in addition to the standard deduction on their 2020 tax return.