Excited to be back

Isabella Lee, Staff Writer

These past several months have been very confusing for people of all ages, and I’m no stranger to these feelings.

One week I was on campus, spending time with my friends and not having a care in the world.

The next week, most of my friends had already moved off campus and I was rushing to pack up my apartment as the school announced that it was going online for the rest of the spring semester.

I had spent my spring break in Maryland with my family, and then not even two weeks later, I was back home with them, not knowing when I would be able to see my school or my friends again.

The COVID-19 pandemic had suddenly changed everything for me. My plans were completely changed.

I was thrilled to come back to campus this semester, even if it would be different this time around.

Being on campus during a pandemic is both concerning and bewildering, but I’m still excited to be back.

Prior to this, I had spent five months in my home, interacting with only my family and barely traveling anywhere to protect myself and others and to stop the coronavirus from spreading.

Even though I still have to protect myself throughout campus, such as wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing, I’m thrilled that I’m able to be back at my second home, reunited with most of my friends and being able to take the majority of my classes in-person.

I still have to be careful, as does everyone on this campus. Learning online is nothing like learning in person, and I believe it’s healthier for most people to have those in-person interactions.

Even if it means wearing a mask and remaining six feet apart.

The biggest things I am looking forward to this semester are the challenges that I will face as a student attending college during a pandemic.

Most of my classes are in-person or hybrid, but I will still have to learn how to utilize Zoom and Microsoft Teams to communicate with my teachers and peers during this time.

It has been a learning curve for both students and professors alike. We have to learn these technologies together.

I am also very excited to see how the MAC/SAC events will work during this time.

Though things are unsure right now, I am extremely happy to be back on campus.

The safety precautions make seeing my friends and having the privilege of some in-person learning experiences at Mercyhurst worth it.