The gates, which mark the main entrance to Mercyhurst University, have always been a familiar sight to those returning to the campus.
Two weeks ago, Fiske Associates began a revamping project on the landmark which will alter the entrance of the college.
The 20-foot wrought-iron gates are receiving a new paint job as well as the addition of the university’s name.
Although the addition seems to be a well-intentioned way to further validate the institution’s transition to university status, the alteration of the structure is bound to be the topic of concern for many.
The gates first came to campus in 1950 when the founder of the college bought the gates from Harry K. Thaw, a well-known Pittsburgh millionaire, after Thaw shot Stanford White, Madison Square Garden architect, in a jealous rage.
After the transportation of the gates to their current location 63 year ago, the gates have not been altered.
The fact remains that the gates in front of Mercyhurst are a historical artifact, a landmark in the city of Erie and a symbol of the university— should the gates have been altered and branded?
This project will, no doubt, be a alluring addition to the face of the university, however, it will be interesting to see how the community will react to the undertaking.
Time will tell how the decision to alter the gates will effect Mercyhurst.