Considering the carillon bells: chimes a welcome addition to campus

PRO

Colleen Niebauer, Contributing writer

Upon first arriving on campus, I barely noticed the new addition of the carillon bells this year. It wasn’t until a few of my friends began complaining about the noise of the bells waking them up that I noticed and later began to appreciate the return of the hourly chimes.

I appreciate the tradition and the meaning behind the bells, as it fits with Mercyhurst’s history and the atmosphere of the campus.

I’m not alone in this.

Graphic Design professor Peter Stadtmueller, who grew up with family only a few blocks from the ‘Hurst, developed nostalgia for the dependable clang of the bells and is glad to see them back in action.

“As a teacher of the digital arts, I definitely value things of tradition,” Stadtmueller said.

The bells, according to Stadtmueller, served not only as a reminder of the time of day, but also as a symbol for the comforts of home.

Although Mercyhurst is not necessarily a “big name” school, the addition of the bells provides the campus with a prestigious air. Alumni may also appreciate the familiarity of the bells when revisiting the grounds of the ‘Hurst (though the bells are now played electronically, a method more efficient than using real bells, which require more upkeep).

The ringing of the Mercyhurst bells are not new or a major change to the school, they are a tradition finally being revived after two years of neglect. Why complain and focus on the bad parts of the bell when you can embrace them and appreciate the unity they bring back to campus? At least we know that when we look back at our time on campus, we will never forget the iconic bells.