’Hurst men’s lacrosse athlete named defensive player of the week

Bernard Garwig, Staff writer

Junior Mercyhurst men’s lacrosse player Greg Weyl was recognized the week of March 20 as the Greater Midwest Athletic Conference’s defensive player of the week.
Weyl was selected alongside Seton Hill sophomore John Miller, who was the offensive player for that week. A native of Pittsford, New York, Weyl was named All-Greater Rochester Player of the Year during his high school days.
In Weyl’s freshman year, he appeared in all 14 games for the season and started in 13 of them. He led the team that year in forced turnovers with 24.
Sophomore year saw him make 18 game appearances for 16 starts. His previous accolades as a Laker include 2016 USILA National Defender of the Week, 2016 ECAC Men’s LAX Defensive Player of the Week, 2015 Second Team All-ECAC and 2015 ECAC All-Rookie Team.
“It was definitely an honor. I could not have done it without my teammates alongside me on the field,” said Weyl of the recognition.
Weyl’s naming by G-MAC came after the 15-5 home route of Walsh University on March 18.
With five turnovers and four ground balls recorded that game, Weyl had a standout performance.
“I thought for the game against Walsh we came out slow both offensively and defensively, but we turned it around very quickly and came out on top,” said Weyl. “I think that with our matchups on the field, I was able to take advantage of my opponent, but again it was a team effort that allowed me to receive the reward.”
Overall, Weyl has four turnovers, 23 ground balls and 17 caused turnovers. He has one goal for one point, and has a .167 shot on goal accuracy.
Weyl gives a lot of credit to his fellow teammates, and highlighted his team’s performance this season.
“Right now we are right on track and where we want to be. This team is extremely close and I am very excited about the remainder of the season,” said Weyl. “Before a game I like to feel that we will win especially our matchups defensively, personally my goal is to make the team better to the best of my ability and hopefully my actions will help us come out on top.”