Campus Ministry begins year with annual Fall Getaway

Erin Almeter, Staff writer

Mercyhurst’s Campus Ministry once again kicked off the year’s events with their Fall Getaway. 

It was held on Sept. 6 from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Camp Notre Dame. It gave students that signed up a chance to enjoy some cookout food, a game of capture the flag (glowstick edition), experience a bonfire and tractor rides as well as other fun and fellowship in different small groups. 

It also gave students a chance to talk about other Campus Ministry groups that they are a part of and see if any one would want to join. With about 60 people, it was a fantastic time with new and old faces in attendance.

According to the Campus Ministry page on Mercyhurst’s website, Campus Ministry “support(s) all faith traditions, foster holistic, communal development and nurture leadership focused in service and justice.” That is one reason why everyone was welcome to attend the evening’s festivities. 

Father Jim Piszker, University Chaplain and Interim Director of Campus Ministry, Jenell Patton, Assistant Director of Campus Ministry, Michelle Scully, Campus Minister, and Sister Natalie Rossi, Campus Minister, were also in attendance.

Patton expressed her thoughts about the getaway. “It’s a chance for freshman and new people to get off campus and meet new friends. While it used to be an overnight retreat, Campus Ministry has been doing this kind of getaway for the past five years.” Patton said.

Emilie Yochim, a senior pre-Occupational Therapy major and leader of Carpe Diem 13, described the getaway as “a great way to kick of the start of the semester and introduce all that Campus Ministry has to offer to the students,” Yochim said. “It also is a great way to meet new people and take a step back from our hectic lives as students. Plus the s’mores are always delicious.”

Julia Baxter, a sophomore Psychology major, Chris Streibich, a junior Accounting major and Hannah Maloney, a freshman Applied Forensic Science major, all described their favorite part as getting to know and talk to new people in and out of small group discussions.

Maloney said that it was a great way to “get closer to others that you weren’t [close with] before.” 

Sophomore Rhyan Santarelli, when asked what her favorite part was, said, “the photo scavenger hunt and the raft that you pulled across the pond were both a lot of fun.”

Be on the lookout for future events that Campus Ministry puts on including Dog Days, Carpe Diem Retreats, Tuesday Night Catholic Devotions, Wednesday Night Fellowship, Commuter Ministries, MYRACLE and more. 

As always, everyone is welcome to attend!