MU field hockey shut out by No. 1 Millersville


Gillian Mazur photo

Clare Ahern, right, swipes the ball away from players from Millersville University. Teammate Mia D’Amato (No. 3) watches in the foreground.

Gillian Mazur, Staff writer

In its Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference home opener, Mercyhurst field hockey once again stared down Millersville University.

Only six days after losing 5-0 to the Marauders, the No. 1-ranked team in the country, the Lakers (2-6, 0-1) faced an uphill battle. The Lakers fared little better Friday, losing 6-0. Currently, the Marauders are 7-0 in their season total and 1-0 in the PSAC rankings.

Less than three minutes in, the Lakers were scored on by the Marauders’ Emma Boutcher. A little after the five-minute mark and the Lakers were scored on again turning the score to 2-0.

In the second quarter, Mercyhurst came out strong. Multiple shots were taken from senior Clare Ahern and junior Hayley Skidmore but all shots were sent wide. After a competitive second quarter, the Lakers locked down on defense and no shots were taken by the Mauraders.

In the opening minute of the third quarter, sophomore goalie Libby Jones shut down a shot by Maurader Hannah Brown. After a failed penalty corner, the Marauders eventually found the opportunity for another shot around the 40-minute mark, making the score 3-0.

With momentum of scoring a third goal, the Marauders came out strong. The Marauders scored again at 46:51 to make it 4-0. In the 49th minute, Ahern took Mercyhurst’s only shot for the quarter, but the Marauder’s goalie turned it away. The Marauders then scored two more times in the fourth quarter, making the final score 6-0.

The Lakers return to Saxon Stadium for their second PSAC game of the season to face Mansfield University (6-2) Wednesday at 3 p.m.

“This was our second time within a week, playing them this time around we did exceptionally better even though the score didn’t reflect that,” said sophomore Lizzy Laird. “After the game we talked about how much better we played and how we had more opportunities and chances for goals. We just weren’t able to finish on those opportunities. Although we did lose, we came out of that game with a better attitude about it, but in the practices leading up to our next game on Wednesday we are still going to be growing as a team and working on finishing for this week’s games.”