Senior class gift coming soon

Elizabeth Nestor, Contributing Writer

In the face of a global pandemic, normalcy is almost an impossible feat. However, this year’s Senior Class Gift committee (SCG) is undeterred.

Leading the committee is none other than Committee Chair, Marina Boyle, alongside Events Coordinator, Grace Siwinski, and PR/ Social Outreach Coordinator, Claire Orr.

They are not the only people excited for the Senior Class Gift. They are backed by a team of seniors willing to help the committee reach its fundraising goal of $15,000.

In order to reach this goal, SCG is hosting numerous events. An upcoming event that is sure to bring a crowd is the basketball shoot-out tournament held at the Ryan Sport Court on Sept. 10 beginning at 4:30 P.M. The event is limited to Mercyhurst students only and masks are required at all times.

For those who might not be the best at basketball, no worries. SCG has other activities such as outdoor bingo, a Chipotle fundraiser and a raffle.

Bingo will be held in tent four on Sept. 24 at 4:30 P.M.

There are also other events in the works. In previous years, SCG held a Senior Bar Crawl and a 100 Days to Graduation Party, however, the blueprints of these events are not COVID-friendly, which is why they are being revised.

Each event has the option for a donation, which can easily be given through a sign-up form. Any senior interested in helping the committee can join a weekly meeting which takes place every Thursday at 7 P.M. There is also a virtual option.

As for the gift itself, the class of 2021 will be presenting Mercyhurst with a themed scholarship. Previous classes have chosen similar gifts, with themes focused on important figures at the University.

For example, ice hockey equipment manager Mike Folga was an integral part of the Laker community who died from Stage IV Leiomyosarcoma. In his honor, the class of 2020 created the Mike Folga Legacy Scholarship which is devoted to helping students with major setbacks that could affect their education.

Some other themes include the core values of the Sisters of Mercy, merit, and Carpe Diem spirit.

As seen on the walls of the Audrey Hirt building, SCG takes pride in aiding the community and Mercyhurst students.

The class of 2021 has not only been greatly impacted by the Mercyhurst community, but also by the social awakenings of the modern world. From the Black Lives Matter movement to a pandemic, this class has been shaped by adversity.

With so much to think about, the committee is working to find ways to help as they feel is best. As of right now, no definite cause has been chosen, but it is sure to be something worthy of praise. In these trying times, it is crucial that we support one another.

Why not support the class of 2021 and play basketball or bingo? There will be many more events hosted throughout the semester and the proceeds will undoubtedly go to a good cause.