Women’s water polo drop two to Salem and McKendree

Sarah Klein, Copy editor

On March 20, the Mercyhurst women’s water polo team was on the road to Morgantown, West Virginia to compete against both McKendree University and Salem University.
The day began with a 3:30 p.m. matchup against McKendree University, during which the Lakers fell 16-10 against the Bearcats. Senior Maddie Nye led with five goals for Mercyhurst, while junior Cassie Anderson netted two goals and had one assist. Sophomore Hanna Good, freshman Rachel Vliestra and freshman Sakura Gavin each added one goal for the Lakers. Senior goalie Sarah O’Keefe made 11 saves on the Bearcats.
The second matchup of the day, this time against Salem University, was a 12-9 loss for the Mercyhurst Lakers. Anderson, Nye and sophomore Ava Gebhardt each netted two goals for Mercyhurst. Senior Rachel Morris, junior Sara Marin and junior Alexa Anderberg each scored one goal. O’Keefe once again protected the Lakers’ net, stopping 12 shots from the Salem Tigers.
“Even though we ended in a loss, I thought the games went well. Our season has only just begun (as of last weekend), and these games were great learning experiences and gave us an opportunity to play together as a team,” Morris said.
“I am feeling very optimistic about this season!” said senior Isabella Morris. “We have a lot of talent and everyone is excited and grateful that we get to play this season.”
With the rest of the season ahead of them, the team is looking forward to making the most of an irregular year. Despite the trials we have all faced over the past year, the water polo team is excited to get back in the pool.
“I am excited for our conference games because I think we have a really good shot at winning them and going far this season,” Rachel Morris said.
The Mercyhurst Women’s water polo team will be playing their first home games on Sunday, March 28. The Lakers play Austin College at 9 a.m. followed by Penn State Behrend at 5 p.m.