Mercyhurst opens new multipurpose field

Sydney Dietz, Sports editor

Mercyhurst University and Mercyhurst Prep High School opened a new multipurpose field on Aug. 27, for both schools to utilize. The field was originally going to be built over a year ago, but was delayed as a result of COVID-19.

The new field has Mercyhurst athletes and coaches very excited for future events.

The Director of Athletics, Brad Davis said, “Mercyhurst is very excited to unveil this new facility. It is a game-changer for both the high school and the university.”

This new field will be the home base for both schools’ softball programs along with Mercyhurst Prep’s boys and girls soccer teams. “It allows us to provide more opportunities for both students and student-athletes and will undoubtedly make Mercyhurst attractive to future students,” Davis said.

Students from both the university and high school are excited to start putting the field to use.

“I am so grateful to be playing on such a beautiful field,” said sophomore softball player Marisa Cartellone.

“I love that the field is making so many teams as happy as we are! To have a field on campus will hopefully encourage more fans to attend some of our home games!” Cartellone said.

She is thankful to everyone that made that field possible since it was a long and complicated process.

Cartellone, along with other students and coaches are very grateful for the generosity and hard work that has been put into this field.

“Words cannot describe the excitement we have towards our new field. We can finally use our locker room and the beautiful field each day. It helps the team feel a part of the Mercyhurst community by being able to play on campus,” said Mercyhurst softball coach Leanne Baker.

The multipurpose field is a symbol of the mission being shared by both schools and will be part of Mercyhurst history.

The field was donated by the Vorsheck family and Mercyhurst is very grateful for that donation. Without them, this field would not have been possible. Now both schools are more connected.