Donate to Mercyhurst’s Professional Clothing Closet

Vydalia Weatherly, Contributing writer

Winter break is only a few days away. When you are packing up your suitcases to return to campus after winter break, consider spending extra time looking through your closets. Mercyhurst’s Professional Clothing Closet is in need of donation items. The Professional Clothing Closet, located in Preston 121, works to provide Mercyhurst students in need with professional business attire.

Students have the opportunity to take one full outfit from the closet, completely free of charge. When students take an outfit from the Professional Clothing Closet, they are not obligated to return the outfit to the closet. However, the Professional Clothing Closet does rely on generous donations from students and faculty members.

Inside the Professional Clothing Closet, Mercyhurst students can find men’s business attire. Female, male and nonbinary students can browse the Professional Clothing Closet every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Additionally, students unable to make it on Wednesday can also browse every Tuesday and Thursday from 11 am to 2 p.m.

However, for several years, the university has partnered with Mercy Center for Women’s Dress for Success program, also known as DFS. At zero cost, females and nonbinary students will be able to be provided access to business attire.

The Professional Clothing Closet accepts new and gently used business professional clothing items. The Professional Clothing Closet is currently in need of male and nonbinary business attire. This includes, but is not limited to shoes, suits and ties. Items can be dropped off every Tuesday and Thursday from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. and on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. at Preston 121.

The list of benefits for students who wear professional business attire is long. When interviewers meet with a job applicant, they are not only looking at the applicant’s resume.

According to NBC News “Professional presence at work: appropriate clothes, first impressions and more,” said executive coach, Liz Bentley.

“As the competition in the workplace rises, standing out and looking like you know what you’re doing is more critical than ever. Often it starts with a first impression when you walk in the door. Your appearance, grooming, and even etiquette are game-changer,” said Bentley.

How one dresses also impacts their confidence levels. According to the LinkedIn “10 Reasons to Dress for Success” by Gerard Devine, owner of Different Class Menswear “your self-perception has a great impact on how others perceive you. When we feel good on the outside, we are more likely to feel good on the inside, which boosts our attitudes and self-confidence leading us to trying our best which in turn brings results.”

Productivity levels have been proven to be higher in work settings that require professional business attire.

“It’s easy to become comfortable wearing sport trousers and a t-shirt, however, once you are in your comfort zone that is when you’re the laziest. But when you are dressed to impress, you look well, feel good and you’ll be more motivated to get things done and in turn be more productive. If there’s a big day ahead of you then why not dress sharply, you won’t be able to help yourself from getting out and showing off,” said Devine.

Any students seeking more information on the Professional Clothing Closet or wishing to book an appointment outside of walk-in hours can email Maria Garase, Ph.D. at mgarase@mercyhurst.edu.