Baseball faces Gannon Golden Knights

Samantha Weber, Editor-in-chief

On April 2, the men’s baseball team played a double header against Gannon University Golden Knights. This set of games were played at Gannon University.

Graduate student Josh Surowiec hit his seventh home run of the year in the top of the third inning and senior Casimer Sobaszek was also able to score on this hit. Gannon responded in the bottom of the inning with two runs and in the fourth inning they took the lead on a wild pitch.

In the top of the seventh inning, senior Jack Elliott scored a run making the score tied at 3-3. Gannon eventually took the lead and held onto it for the rest of the game from an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning. For the Lakers, sophomore Jarrett Heilman started out pitching and was eventually replaced by freshman Jacob Bazala.

In the second game, the Lakers lost 1-0. Sobaszek and sophomore Luke Jackson had hits in the game, but were unable to score. Graduate student Matthew Gibson and sophomore Aidan Morrison drew walks. Sophomore John Bufford Jr. was the starting pitcher and freshman Aiden Kelly took over in the sixth inning.

On April 3, the baseball team played another double header against the Golden Knights. The games were played at Mercyhurst, giving the home advantage to the Lakers.In the first game, the Lakers started off well when Surowiec drove in Gibson with a single.

In the bottom of the second, the Lakers scored another run when senior Philip Ferranti scored on Gibson’s double to the left-center gap.Gannon scored in the top of the third with a three run homer. In the bottom of the third, the Lakers scored three runs too. Ferranti drove in Jackson, and one batter later, senior Logan Martella-Tasick hit a double off the wall to bring in Ferranti and Jack Elliott. This was the Lakers last run of the game.

The Golden Knights tied the game at 5-5 in the fifth inning and they scored once more in the sixth inning, making the final score 7-5 in favor of Gannon.The pitchers for the Lakers were graduate student Josh Greggs, Bazala and Kelly.

In the second game, sophomore Daniel Thomas started as the pitcher and he had no-hitter going into the fifth inning. This was his first career complete game and he struck out eight people in it. The first run for the Lakers came in the fourth inning on an error when the Gannon pitcher overthrew to the first baseman on an attempted pickoff and Elliott was able to score on the play.

In the fifth inning, the Lakers had runners on first and second and Ferranti hit one that was dropped in right field and both runners were able to score while Ferranti made it to third base. The Lakers shutout the Golden Knights 3-0 in the second game.