Men’s soccer keeps undefeated record

Sydney Dietz, Sports editor

On Saturday Sept. 24 the men’s soccer team continued their winning streak and defeated the University of Pitt Johnstown.

The Lakers have been undefeated all season. They have played ten games with nine games resulting in a win and one game resulting in a draw.

The team hit the road this weekend and headed to Johnstown to Pa to play their tenth game of the season against the Mountain Cats.

Mercyhurst took home a victory with a final score of 4-0. The Lakers took the lead during the opening minute in the second half of the game.

Sophomore midfielder Lockie Fey scored the first goal of the game just 39 seconds into the second half. This goal brought the Lakers up a point with a score of 1-0.

Sophomore defenceman Nic Munch assisted the goal by dribbling the ball down the field and then crossing it across the field to Fey.

Just moments later, sophomore midfielder Sean Kerrigan pressured the Mountain Cats defense into a foul in the box which resulted in a penalty kick. Kerrigan was able to kick the ball into the right corner of the net which got the Lakers another goal.

This goal marks Kerrigan’s ninth goal of the season with his nine goals in the first 10 games. The last time a Laker soccer player accomplished this scoring was in 2014 when Jack Watson scored 11.

The Lakers now had the advantage over the Mountain Cats with a score of 2-0. Mercyhurst scored once again in the 65th minute of the game. Junior, Germany native midfielder, Julius Becker got the ball past the Mountain Cat’s goaltender and drove the ball into the net.

Sophomore midfielder Dylan Sumner helped drive the ball down the field before kicking it to Becker. This would mark the third goal of the game making the score 3-0 in favor of the Lakers. However, the scoring was not over.

The fourth goal for the Lakers came into play during the 77th minute of the game. Sophomore midfielder from Sweden, Erik Cederberg acquired his first goal of 2022.Cederberg’s goal put the Lakers up by 4. Cederberg’s goal was assisted by sophomore forward Jorge Tallada Torres after he stopped a run by the Mountain Cats.

The Lakers shut out the University of Pitt Johnstown with a final score of 4-0.

This will be the seventh shutout for the Lakers this season. In the past three years the Lakers have scored more than four goals in their first 10 games and this season is no exception.

The Lakers keep winning every game and have kept this pace for three years. Both the teams defense and offense have been showing off their talent and they do not appear to be stopping anytime soon. The team is tied for third in the NCAA II.

The Lakers will compete against Slippery Rock next in a match on Sept. 30 at Saxon Stadium. Be there at 6:00 p.m. to cheer on the men’s soccer team to continue their undefeated season.