Enjoyable Homecoming despite loss


Sydney Dietz, Sports editor

Homecoming events started Friday evening and continued until Saturday evening. Friday evening there was a Happy Hour at the Roost, in addition to the yearly Homecoming bonfire that was lit behind Old Main at 8:20 p.m.

The festivities started Saturday afternoon with an alumni tailgate complete with lots of food and friends returning to the Hurst be-fore the big Homecoming football game. The pregame Homecoming festivities made the game fun for everyone in attendance. Former Merciad Editor-in-Chief Gillian Mazur attended Homecoming as an alumni for the first time.

“Despite the losses during Homecoming weekend, I enjoyed returning to the Hurst for the first time as an alumna. While a big part of Homecoming revolves around our major sports teams, I think the unspoken rule is that the tailgate and getting to see everyone again in one place is truly the best part,” Mazur said.

The Lakers battled against the Edinboro Fighting Scots at 2 p.m. at Saxon Stadium. The Fighting Scots were first to put points on the board after kicking a field goal in the first quarter. Edinboro continued to score as their defensive tackle JR Tellington intercepted the ball from Mer-cyhurst and ran down the field for a touchdown.

After this defensive touchdown, the score was 10-0 with Edinboro in the lead. Although the Lakers had a slow start, they were able to fight back and keep the score close throughout the duration of the game. Redshirt sophomore Joseph Bronco kicked a good 34-yd field goal putting up the first three points for Mercyhurst.

Going into halftime the score was 13-3. While the Lakers were in the locker room getting prepared for the second half, there were many celebrations happening on the field. The Dance Team, Cheerleaders and Marching Band, entertained the crowd with their performances.

“The band did well and it was great to see our new color guard perform,” said Mazur.

Additionally at halftime, the women’s rowing team celebrated their 2022 National Championship. Every rower was announced and applauded for their hard work last season. The Homecoming court was announced as well.

After the halftime festivities, the Lakers were recharged and ready to face Edinboro once again. Neither team scored in the third quarter; Mercyhurst gained more points in the fourth quarter. The Lakers got their first touchdown of the game with a 13-yd gain to the end zone by redshirt junior running back, Dustin Shoaf. The extra point was kicked by Bronco allowing the score to be 13-10.

The Lakers tied the game when Bronco kicked a 22-yd field goal during their next possession with only three minutes left in the game. However, Edinboro had the final drive of the game and scored a 35-yd field goal placing them three points above Mercyhurst. The final result of the game was 16-13 in the Fighting Scots favor.

Although the Fighting Scots won, the Lakers kept the score close throughout the game. Regardless of the outcome of the game, the Homecoming atmosphere made the afternoon special for every Laker there.

“I loved getting to talk to my old professors and the other staff members who I used to interact with so much over the past four years in my different clubs and activities,” Mazur said.

“It was just great to get to see everyone again and even meet some new people.”

The football team will be back in action on the road this Saturday, Oct. 8, when they face Slippery Rock University.