Men’s hockey splits two away games


Sydney Dietz, Sports editor

Over the weekend, the men’s hockey team battled Clarkson University with back to back games. The Lakers traveled to Potsdam, New York, on Friday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m. for the first game.

The game ended in a tie, which resulted in an extra period of overtime. The Clarkson Golden Knights scored first giving them the lead. Junior Noah Beck shot the puck into the net during the powerplay at the 15:24 mark in the first period. The rest of the period was quiet with no additional goals being scored.

However, Mercyhurst fought back in the second period. The Lakers had better control of the puck and also had more shots on goal this period. During the 18th minute of the second period, junior Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, native Carson Briere tied the game by shooting the puck past junior Golden Knight goalie, Ethan Haider on a power play. Briere’s goal was assisted by senior Rylee St. Onge, and grad student Brendon Michaelian.

The teams were quiet for the remaining minutes in the second period with no goals scored. It was a slow third period for both the Lakers and Golden Knights. Neither team scored and there were two penalties. Both Clarkson junior defenseman Tommy Pasanen and Laker senior defenseman Cade Townend received penalties.

Pasanen got a penalty for slashing and Townend got a penalty for holding. When the overtime began, the Lakers did not waste much time. Mercyhurst won the first faceoff of overtime and kept the puck near Clarkson’s goal. Eventually, senior forward Gueorgui Feduolov found the back of the net and scored the game winning goal for the Lakers.

The second game of the weekend was played on Saturday, Oct. 22, at 7:30 p.m. This game did not end in the Lakers favor with an ending score of 5-1 with the Golden Knights bringing home a win. Clarkson’s scoring started early in the first period after obtaining a turnover at the blue line. However, the Lakers brought some momentum and did not let the lead last.

Senior defenseman Joseph Maziarz found the back of the net and tied the game. Marziarz’s goal was assisted by forward grad student Eric Esposito. Unfortunately for the Lakers, this would be the only goal scored in their favor.

Clarkson pulled ahead at 11:11 in the period and scored a second goal. This goal would be the last point scored for the first period. Despite the Golden Knights lead, the Lakers had more shots on goal by the end of the first period with the shots being 17-13.

The second period started with a penalty kill for the Lakers when junior forward Keanan Stewart was booked for hooking at 1:27 in the second period. Soon after, the Golden Knights obtained two more goals raising their lead.

The score was 5-1 go-ing into the second intermission. It was a quiet third period with no team scoring a goal, ending the game 5-1 Knights. The Lakers had 22 attempts on goal for the duration of the game and 18 saves.

The Lakers will travel to Niagara Falls, New York, on Friday, Oct. 28, to play against Niagara University. Both teams will return to Erie, on Saturday, Oct. 29, for a home game at the Mercyhurst Ice Center at 7:05 p.m.