Save money, watch a movie

Christina Judy, Staff writer

The Mercyhurst Modern Cinema Club is hosting the movie premiere of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”onThursday, Nov.10 at 6 p.m at Tinseltown Cinemark Theatre.

Tickets to see the film are free for Mercyhurst students thanks to Mercyhurst Student Government who has been helping this club by paying to reserve the theatre every semester for a year now.

Since this event is sponsored by MSG, it gives a great opportunity for students to get off campus and enjoy a free outing.

This is also an amazing social event, as club advisor, Kristofer Gossett, Ph.D.said,“We typically have full crowds for our premieres. We keep getting bigger and bigger theaters to hold these events due to their popularity on campus.”

With all the responsibilities of college life and schoolwork, it can be nice to get off campus and relax with some friends for an evening. This is also a chance to save some money and see a new film for free.

This club was formed in2014 by Gossett and Dennis Arthur who was a student at the time.

The purpose was to share their love of movies with other students and invite them to enjoy a night of fun away from the fast-paced environment on campus.

They gained recognition when they began to organize exclusive premieres that were held for Mercyhurst members only.

These showings are local and accessible since they are at the Tinseltown Cinemark.

Additionally, they work with the athletics staff and fleet operations to obtain charter buses to transport students to and from the theatre.

The Mercyhurst Modern Cinema Club has traditionally coordinated one movie premiere per semester. This was put on hold for a year and a half due to the restrictions of in-person events that COVID brought.

As COVID regulations have been lessened significantly it has allowed for more social occasions to resume.

The Mercyhurst Modern Cinema Club plans on maximizing this opportunity to be together as they have many other ways to celebrate film this semester.

Their on-campus events include movie trivia, a big Oscars party in the Spring, holiday-themed movie parties, all in addition to their new movie premiere trips.

They are also well known for their trip to Toronto for the International Film Festival every fall. Many students enjoy this trip because they take a lot of alumni.

This past September, 18 alumni or friends/family of the alumni accompanied the club to the International Film Festival out of the 24 that went.

If you are interested in being a member of the club, you can reach out to Gossett at kgossett@ mercyhurst.edu. However, you do not need to be a member of the club to attend the movie premieres.

If you would like to get tickets to see“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” you can e-mail moderncinemaclub@gmail.com, but do so quickly because they are already 2/3 full.

Grab a group of friends and get your tickets to experience the new and exciting continuation of the Black Panther storyline.

On the Marvel website, there is a provided outline of what this movie will entail.

“Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett), Shuri (Letitia Wright), M’Baku (Winston Duke), Okoye (Danai Gurira) and the Dora Milaje (including Florence Kasumba), fight to protect their nation from intervening world powers in the wake of King T’Challa’s death.

As the Wakandans strive to embrace their next chapter, the heroes must band together with the help of War Dog Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o) and Everett Ross(MartinFreeman) and forge a new path for the kingdom of Wakanda.”

Consider watching this enticing movie with a bunch of your fellow Lakers while also supporting the Modern Cinema Club!