Men’s hockey celebrates two victories

Ed Mailliard

Mercyhurst men’s hockey vs. Air Force, Nov. 25, 2022. Photo by Ed Mailliard.

Sydney Dietz, Sports editor

It was an exciting weekend at the Mercyhurst Ice Center as fans gathered in the stands both Friday night and Saturday afternoon to watch the Lakers battle against the Air Force Falcons. The Lakers won both games leaving Mercyhurst fans and players elated. The Mercyhurst men’s hockey team is on a winning streak after defeating two games against Holy Cross on Nov. 18 and Nov. 19.

The first game against the Air Force was on Friday, Nov. 25 at 7:05 p.m. and ended with a score of 5-3. The Lakers started the scoring early in the first period with junior center Carson Briere skating down the ice and assisting the puck to senior forward Rylee St. Onge who shot the puck in the net resulting in the first goal of the game. Shortly after, sophomore forward Garrett Dahm scored another goal that was assisted by St. Onge and senior defenseman Cade Townend.

Although the Lakers dominated the first half of the period, the Falcons were able to get the puck in the net and score at 6:56 changing the score to 2-1. However, with 4:54 left in the first period, junior forward Keanan Stewart scored the third goal for the Lakers. Dahm got the assist and his second point of the night.

There was not much scoring during the second period, however after 16:48 in the period, Mercyhurst scored another goal. The goal was scored by junior forward Kyler Head and assisted by sophomore defenseman Dustin Geregach, which was Geregach’s second assist of the season.

During the third period, the Falcons obtained their second goal of the game making the score 4-2. The Lakers followed the Falcons goal by getting an empty net goal that was scored by junior forward Steven Agrogianis which was assisted by senior defenseman Adrian Bisson. The Falcons scored another goal at the time of 19:12 resulting in a final score of 5-3 in favor of the Lakers.

Freshman goaltender Owen Say was in net and made 35 saves. The second game of the weekend series was Saturday, Nov. 26 at 4:05 p.m. The Lakers won once again with a final score of 4-2. The first period was quiet until the Lakers got their first goal late in the period. This goal was scored by senior forward Gueorgui Feduolov and was assisted by junior center Marko Reifenberger.

After the players got a break in the locker room during the first intermission, they got back on the ice and continued to score. Just one minute and 49 seconds into the second period, Agrogianis skated and found the back of the net resulting in the second goal of the game. Agrogianis’s goal was assisted by Head and forward grad student Eric Esposito.

Soon after, Air Force scored leaving the score 2-1 with the Lakers in the lead. Although Air Force tried to make a winning comeback, the Lakers did not allow that to happen. At 16:57, Reifenberger got his second point after scoring a third goal for the Lakers. This goal was assisted by sophomore defenceman Jake Beaune and senior forward Jonathan Bendorf.

During the first half of the third period Dahm got the puck in the net allowing the Lakers to have four goals. Joseph Maziarz earned the assist. Before the final minutes of the game, the Falcons scored another goal, however, despite this goal, the Lakers still brought home a victory.

The Mercyhurst hockey team will play against Army next on Friday, Dec. 9 and Saturday, Dec. 10.