Women’s hockey earns first wins

Haleigh Giebel, Staff Writer

On Friday and Saturday, Oct. 30 and 31, the Mercyhurst women’s hockey team rallied to defeat Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) 5-0 and 4-3 for their first wins of the season.
During the weekend series, freshman goaltender Sarah McDonnell recorded her first collegiate win and the Lakers’ first shutout of the season.
“Our younger players are doing a great job,” said Head Coach Michael Sisti. “They have good work habits and they are eager to learn.”
On Friday, in roughly a three minute span the Lakers’ went up 3-0 over RIT.
Sophomore Sarah Robello started off the scoring with a wrist shot that went over the RIT goaltender’s glove. Senior Jenna Dingeldein had the lone assist.
Freshman Rachael Smith got on the board next when she found the back of the net off of a rebound. Freshman Sarah Hine and senior Hannah Bale had the assists on the goal.
To end the 3-minute scoring spree, junior Megan Whiddon scored her first goal of the season with assistance from junior Jillian Skinner and freshman Molly Blasen.
“We are working hard at practice and keeping our spirits up to overcome the losing streak,” said Smith. “I feel once we find our first win, they will just keep coming.”
During the third period, Hine and Bale both recorded a goal to end the game 5-0 ,Lakers. Smith, Blasen and junior Paige Horton and Dingeldein had the assists on the 2 goals.
“If we can match our talent with our work ethic we will have a chance to do something special this year,” freshman Morgan Stacey said.
Saturday’s game went back and forth with goals from the Lakers and RIT, leading into overtime.
During regulation play, the Lakers had goals from senior J’nai Mahadeo, Smith and Robello. Robello scored at 18:22 in the third period to tie the game and send it into overtime. Smith, Hine and seniors Kathy Donohue and Lauren Kilroy all had assists on those goals.
At 2:07 in overtime, Dingeldein found the back of the net to win the game and sweep RIT. The goal was assisted by Blasen and Hine.
“We still have lots of room for improvement and we’re striving to be the best we can be,” said freshman Nicole Collier. “We are a strong team who has yet to show it, also considering that we are a young team, we still have a lot to learn.”
The Lakers head to University Park, Pa. to take on Penn State University on Friday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Nov. 7, at 2 p.m.