‘Full House’ star Jodie Sweetin to speak in PAC

Melanie Todd, Staff writer

“Full House” and “Fuller House” star Jodie Sweetin will speak at Mercyhurst about combating challenges life presents and her own personal struggle with alcohol and substance abuse following the popular sitcom.

Her speech, taking place Friday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center, is titled “A Young Star’s Road to Recovery.”

“She’ll really be touching on how we can just really take on life,” Garret Erwin, Mercyhurst Student Government events coordinator said.
After “Full House,” Sweetin struggled with addiction but after rehabilitative therapy she was able to overcome it.

“She went from being a young star and now she’s a mother and back at it. She really has come full circle,” Erwin said.

Sweetin has taken on life’s challenges and continues to follow new opportunities.

“I’m really hoping students can gain something from it. Just because she’s speaking about her addiction, doesn’t mean they can’t take something from it. If you find yourself in a situation where you need help and to have the strength to seek out that support, you do and you stick with it,” Erwin said.

Doors open for the event at 6:45 p.m. The event is open to all students.

“The earlier you get there, the closer you will get to the stage. I really suggest students get there early,” Erwin said.

There will be an open meet and greet with Sweetin.

“She seems very open and in touch with the crowd. I’m very curious and excited to meet her myself,” Erwin said.

After the event, SAC will host Sweets after Sweetin featuring Romolo’s chocolate in the Student Union.

“We wanted to make sure we still accounted for the Annual Chocolate Night because that’s an event students really love,” Erwin said.

The new series “Fuller House”, starring Sweetin and many others from the original “Full House,” will premier on Netflix Friday, Feb. 26. She will reprise her role of Stephanie Tanner.

“We are really hoping she touches on ‘Fuller House’ a little bit,” Erwin said.

There is no word on whether Sweetin will be talking at all about the new series.

“‘Full House’ is obviously our generation’s program. I think students will really enjoy her speaking. We are really honored to have her,” Erwin said.