Ridge College forms master’s program partnership

Mercyhurst and Syracuse signed the agreement on the morning of March 15.

Mercyhurst University photo

Melanie Todd, Staff writer

Mercyhurst’s Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences officially partnered with the School of Information Studies at Syracuse University (iSchool) on March 15.

“The agreement itself was a way to marry the largest intelligence studies school with the largest information sciences school; two colleges with really innovative programs,” James Breckenridge, Ph.D., dean of the Ridge College, said.

Through this partnership, Mercyhurst students eligible for the Fast Track program will be able to complete a master’s degree in an information sciences discipline. Students can begin their course work in their final year of undergraduate study at Mercyhurst or within one year of their undergraduate graduation.

“Anyone here [Mercyhurst students] is eligible, even though the partnership is with the Ridge School,” Breckenridge said.

Additionally, Syracuse students will have the same opportunity to earn a Mercyhurst master’s degree.

“Undergraduates in degree programs in Information Technology and Intelligence Studies will be required to complete 36 credit hours rather than 42 credit hours in order to meet degree requirements,” Breckenridge said.

Currently, the Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences has 43 traditional graduate students and 85 online graduate students.

“We now have partnership with the largest and most prestigious iSchool and they will refer their students here for grad school opportunities,” said Breckenridge.

Increased enrollment is not the only goal of this partnership.

“We believe this is a wonderful opportunity for our undergraduate students to acquire competencies essential for 21st century professional success,” Breckenridge said.

Syracuse University’s iSchool has served as a model for emerging schools.

“At the iSchool students learn to leverage information in order to add value to society, to empower individuals and organizations with systems that reflect their needs, and incorporate emerging technologies to meet and transform industry trends,” Breckenridge said.

Degrees offered through the Fast Track program to Mercyhurst students include Master of Science in Information Management, Master of Science in Library and Information Sciences, and Master of Science in Library and Information Sciences School Media Specialization.