Lacrosse keeps momentum going

Haleigh Giebel, Staff writer

The 5th ranked Mercyhurst men’s lacrosse team handled Ohio Valley in a 19-4 defeat on Sunday, April 17, to improve their record to 10-2.
“We are keeping the momentum going by doing what we’ve done all year and just trying to stay focused each week one game at a time,”  junior James Crowe said.
The Lakers scored the first eight goals and remained in the control for the rest of the game. After OVU scored their first goal, the Lakers answered with 10 straight goals. OVU then scored three, but the Lakers added one more to  seal the deal. Only the Lakers scored in both the second and third period.
Sophomore Michael Convery led the Lakers with four goals and three assists. He also had five groundballs.
Junior Keyan McQueen picked up three goals and sophomore Colin Greenway, senior Joe Gravino and freshman Dom Perna all added two goals each.
Freshman Kurtis Woodland scored one goal and made two assists, while junior Derek Richards, senior Connor Enright, Crowe, freshman Myles Young and junior Brett Benzinger all chipped in one goal.
Junior John Plaskey chipped in two assists and Crowe, Greenway, Young, juniors Alex Misterman and Kevin Vaughn and sophomore Ryan Vitale all added assists.
Mercyhurst outshot OVU, 46-17, even though OVU held a 14-13 advantage in face-offs.
“We are focused on taking the rest of the season one game at a time and will carry that attitude over to the post season,” Crowe said.
Following this game’s success, the lacrosse team rose to fourth place on the United States Intercollegiate Association/Nike poll.
Woodland was named ECAC Rookie of the Week for the second week in a row for his performances from April 11 to 17. He totaled seven goals in the last games against Alderson Broaddus University and OVU. Woodland has 12 goals so far on the season.
The Lakers next game is on Saturday, April 23, at 3 p.m on Tullio Field against Lake Erie College.