’Hurst & CVS are keeping campus healthy

Even+Luke+the+Laker+got+his+flu+shot+this+season.+

Contributed photo

Even Luke the Laker got his flu shot this season.

Kristian Biega, Staff writer

Tis the season for flu shots. Mercyhurst’s Cohen Health Center and local CVS pharmacists have been coming together for many years to give free flu shots on the college campus to prevent the spread of disease. Monday, Oct. 10, was the first of two clinics that are free to students. The next clinic will beTuesday, from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Student Union Great Room.

Judy Smith of the Cohen Health Center stressed the importance of getting vaccinated this year.

“A good dose of the flu can knock you out for one to two weeks,” Smith said. “This can lead to even more serious complications later.”

Missing this many classes for sickness is bad enough, but if the flu hits during finals or exams, the results can be detrimental to one’s grades. The more people that get vaccinated, the less chance the campus has of the disease spreading and the less class students and faculty will miss. The first clinic offered at the school was a great success with 189 students and faculty receiving vaccines.

It is always imperative to be properly vaccinated each flu and virus season. It is especially important to realize what immunization one is actually receiving.

“It is possible for people to contract the flu after getting a vaccine that may not protect that specific strain,” Smith said.

Doctors choose what strains the vaccines combat based on the prominent cases seen in recent years. The strains that the shots being administered at Mercyhurst protect against are Influenza A (H1N1), Influenza A (H3N2), and Influenza B. Smith said that she has not heard of the flu being especially severe this season, but encourages the Mercyhurst community to take advantage of the clinic. Through the increased help from CVS, Mercyhurst was able to offer four nurses to administer the shots on both dates. She said she is proud and excited to work with CVS and is grateful to have them on campus.

The major worry that many people have coming into the clinic is the fear of needles or the pain of the injection.

On Oct. 10, even Luke the Laker braved the pain and was seen getting his flu shot. He stayed at the event to give support to anyone else who was a little nervous as they got their vaccines. If Luke can do it, so can you!