Students: ‘GET’ your OneCard connected

Rebecca Dunphy, Staff writer

Gone are the days of having to trek to McCauley Hall for students to manage their OneCard. This new program provides students greater accessibility to these services than ever before. While students enjoyed two extra days of rest to end their January, the OneCard office was hard at work preparing for the first phase of their new GET Program to go live to students.

Students are now able to check the balance of all funds online, allowing both them and their parents to digitally reload their card when necessary.

“Finally,” sophomore Athletic Training major Sarah Shade said. “I was just thinking we needed something like this.”

To access these new features, students should create an account at get.cbord.com/mercyhurst with their OneCard information, then download and login to the GET app.

From there, students can also report their card lost and reactivate it when found, alleviating much of the stress when dealing with such a situation.

“MSG recognized students’ desire to have increased functionality when it comes to their OneCard and the money that is on it,” Mercyhurst Student Government President Vincent Marrazzo said. “By working with the OneCard Office, MSG has been able to not only offer a simple to use online platform for students to check their balance and reload their OneCard, but has also provided a way for students to save money by using their card off campus to receive discounts.”

Should this first phase be embraced by the Mercyhurst community, a second phase would be initiated, allowing for students to use their OneCards at local food vendors off campus to receive discounts.

“The way this works is once we have enough students signed up with GET, the company will reach out to all of the food vendors and restaurants in the Erie area and ask which ones want to partner with Mercyhurst to offer discounts,” Marrazzo said.

This is similar to programs offered at other local universities, including Gannon Gold at Gannon University and Lion Cash at Penn State Behrend. These schools have already partnered with local businesses including, but not limited to, Country Fair, Eat’n Park, Jimmy Johns, Marco’s Pizza, Sheetz and Tops Market.

For students with health restrictions, such as junior dance major Danielle Quenneville, this change will be especially helpful in providing variety in their diet.

“As a student with celiac disease/dietary restriction, it’s convenient to go beyond the Clean Plate at The Grotto Commons, which sometimes has limited options,” ,” Quenneville said.

Marrazzo hopes to have enough students registered by the end of the semester to launch the off-campus meal component at the beginning of next year.

“Overall, MSG thinks this will be a great service for the students that will ultimately save them money and provide greater diversity when it comes to dining options,” Marrazzo said.