CPA shares experience at Business Club event

Kristian Biega, News Editor

On Thursday, Nov. 7, the Mercyhurst Business Club hosted speaker Laura Copley in the Center for Academic Excellence to discuss her experience as a Certified Public Accountant. She also shared tips for accounting students on how to prepare for the CPA exam through a website called Becker Professional Education.

Junior Business Club president Amanda Costello found that Copley’s presentation gave students valuable information on the CPA exam as well as real-world applications of the major.

“She was a good speaker to bring to the Business Club as many students are accounting majors and the CPA exam is very beneficial if accounting students want to pursue this as a profession,” Costello said.

Copley is an account manager and field marketing specialist at Becker Professional Education, a resource that helps students prepare for the CPA exam.

Not only does Copley promote the website, but several Mercyhurst accounting professors agree that it is a useful study tool. According to their website, Becker Professional Education “is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training (ACCET), an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education that promotes quality-oriented education and training through the establishment of standards and an accreditation process focused on integrity.”

Copley has visited Mercyhurst’s Business Club in the past to share her advice with the students about the elements of the exam, the application process and how to take the exam.

Costello stated that Copley’s presentation was very pertinent for aspiring CPAs in the Walker College of Business.

“Her information was extremely helpful and allowed all of the students in attendance to gain knowledge about what the CPA exam consists of and the time commitment, but also the reward to taking the CPA exam,” Costello said.

Not only do the speakers the Business Club brings in share their personal experiences and information, but they give students the valuable opportunity to network within their intended career field.

“All of the speakers that we have had in the past have net-worked with many, if not all, of the students that attended. It creates a strong connection with experienced professionals in the area and can be a path towards many opportunities in the future for most students,” Costello said.

The Business Club will continue to bring in guest speakers from various business fields throughout the spring semester. The speakers are open to everyone.