Luke’s Landing now open for activities

Lauren Abbott, Editor in Chief

On Feb. 21 the Mercyhurst community celebrated the opening of the newest hangout space on campus, Luke’s Landing in the Student Union. Located on the lower level of the Student Union next to the Roost, Luke’s Landing is a seating area with a stage and sound system.

The idea for Luke’s Landing started last year with MSG president Vince Marrazzo and came to fruition this year with renovations to the lower level of the Student Union.

“The idea was to create opportunities for live music and an area for club, weekend programs and University and Alumni events,” MSG president Abby Staub said.

The opening event featured a ribbon cutting ceremony, where Mercyhurst University President Michael T. Victor, vice president for Student Life Laura Zirkle and Staub officially opened the space.

“Luke’s Landing provides a new seating and stage area that complements the recently renovated Roost and the Laker Inn. With the addition of this space, students now have a fresh place to dine, do homework, socialize with friends and host events,” Staub said.

After the ribbon cutting, attendees were treated to refreshments and a student performer, sophomore Music Therapy major Rhyan Komsthoeft, took the stage to perform. While Komsthoeft was the first to take the stage after the opening, the space has already been in use.

“We have already hosted an open mic night and a spoken word artist. We will also have a band playing there during Family Weekend” said Student Activities Council Chair Braeden Barnett.

The space is now available for students not only as a performance space, but also as a hangout spot and for group activities.

“The hope is that this space continues to provide a place for students to share their talents with their fellow Lakers” Staub said.

If you haven’t had a chance, take a trip to the Union and check out the new space