MSG seeks new senators

Rebecca Dunphy, News Editor

The Mercyhurst Student Government (MSG) senate elections are just around the corner and the deadline to apply is quickly approaching. MSG is made up of 24 students representing different areas of Mercyhurst, including each of the four colleges, club divisions and graduating classes.

The group is looking to fill a number of these spots with a Cultural and Diversity Senator, two Class of 2024 Senators and a couple of associate degree-seeking students.

While the latter two positions are self-explanatory in their qualifications, to apply to for the Cultural and Diversity Senator role, a student must hold an executive board position in a club falling under the “Cultural and Diversity” constituency.

Each senator plays an important role in making sure that the group is representative of the entire student body.

“MSG is committed to representing the entire student body and we value different perspectives and ideas,” said MSG President, Lucy Belleau and MSG Vice President, Sarah Klein.

“The Associate Degree–Seeking senators will be integral in providing feedback regarding the North East consolidation and with helping us shape a permanent position. Class of 2024 senators ensure that the voice of the freshman class is being heard. Cultural and Diversity club senators provide a bridge between MSG and cultural and diversity clubs to make sure that clubs are being represented and to facilitate feedback.”

While the Freshman Class and Cultural and Diversity positions are staples of the senate, this is the first time that any Associate Degree-seeking students will be elected.

“We are committed to representing the entire undergraduate student body here at Mercyhurst, and we are excited to expand perspective and communicate with the students about what they would like to see the position grow into,” said Klein and Belleau.

As a senator, students are responsible for representing their constituents and voicing concerns at weekly Monday night meetings.

This is done through conducting campus-wide surveys, assisting in service opportunities, and attending other campus events.

Senators also serve on one of four committees: Mission & Sustainability, Spirit Committee, University Operations, or RCR Committee.

Interested students can find the link to the Senator application on the Hub site or on any of MSG’s social media (@msglakers). Students must also include a statement of intent explaining why they are interested in running for a position. The application deadline is Sept. 11 and voting runs from Sept. 16 through 18.