Field hockey hires new head coach

Field hockey hires new head coach

Samantha Weber, Staff writer

Mercyhurst University has hired Brittney Randolf to be the new field hockey head coach. This news comes after former coach Stacey Gaudette announced her transition to associate athletic director.

Randolf will be the fourth head field hockey coach in the school’sc history.

Randolf started her college field hockey career here at Mercyhurst and graduated in 2014 after participating in 39 games. After graduating, Randolf spent time as an assistant coach at Shippensburg University for two seasons, where she helped the team win back-to-back championships.

After Shippensburg, she was an assistant coach at Smith College and helped elevate the level of competition for their field hockey program.

In addition to coaching at the college level, Randolf was the head coach for the 2018 and 2019 USA Futures Regional Tournament in Pennsylvania. Randolf’s latest accomplishment was being named head coach for the 2020 USA Futures New England Regional Tournament.

“Returning to Mercyhurst in my new role as the head field hockey coach is a dream come true. It means the world to me to be able to have a meaningful impact on my student-athletes’ lives during their time at Mercyhurst,” said Randolph. “I am thrilled to be able to recruit student athletes to a place that I once called home and to be able to share with them everything that made my decision to continue my academic and athletic career at Mercyhurst one of my best life decisions to date.”

Randolf wants her student athletes to allow Mercyhurst to be the great experience it was for her.

“I am really looking forward to building a team culture of excellence and success both on and off the field. I believe that culture starts with relationships and people and I am excited to continue to get to know each of my student athletes over the years,” said Randolf. “I am especially looking forward to our playing season and the time when we can play together as a new team and showcase all the things that we will work on this fall.”

Randolf also expressed her attitude toward taking a coaching approach that will carry into the long-term.

“I want to create meaningful relationships with all of my student-athletes that extend beyond their years at Mercyhurst.”

Randolf has high hopes for the field hockey team moving forward and for continuing the program in its path toward success.

“I hope to be able to recruit athletically and academically driven student-athletes who fit in with our culture of excellence and align with our program goals. I also want to be able to use my experience as an alum of Mercyhurst University to enrich the student athlete experience at the University and welcome back former student-athletes who can also share their experiences with the current team,” Randolf said.