Study Abroad program to resume

Bella Lee, Staff writer

A new academic year means a new slate of study abroad trips. Besides the ever-popular trip to Dungarvan, Ireland, Mercyhurst also announced that the spring trips would be in Costa Rica and Greece.

The Dungarvan trip is scheduled to occur during Mini 4 of the spring semester, between Mar. 7 and May 7, 2022, while the Costa Rica and Greece trips are due scheduled for May after the end of the spring semester.

The Mercyhurst in Ireland Program is an experience that takes students and faculty members to the Mercyhurst University Ireland facility in Dungarvan, County Waterford, Ireland for 8 weeks.

If accepted, students will take 2-3 courses on site in Ireland, live in university leased accommodations and study as they travel throughout Ireland as part of the program. Ireland offers lots of REACH courses, so every student can go.

Those who wish to go on the Dungarvan trip can choose between three Mini 4 courses in the spring: Psychology and Religious Experience (R in REACH or major/minor credit in Psychology), Comparative Leadership (C in REACH or major/minor credit in Political Science or Intelligence Studies) or Comparative Social Issues (H in REACH or major/minor credit in Social Work).

Those who wish to go on the Costa Rica trip can choose between two Mini 4 courses in the spring: Digital Photography and Video Narrative (E in REACH or major/minor credit in Graphic Design) or The Science of Adventure (A in REACH or major/minor credit in Natural Sciences).

Those who wish to go on the Greece trip can choose between three Mini 4 courses in the spring: Classical Roots of Philosophy (R in REACH or major/minor credit in Philosophy), Threshold of Democracy: Ancient Athens (C in REACH or major/minor credit in History) or Human Trafficking in Greece (H in REACH or major/minor credit in Criminal Justice).

No matter what class you choose to take in order to go on a study abroad trip, you have the opportunity to fulfill any of your REACH requirements or a credit towards your major or minor.

Courses will be taught by Dr. Gerald Tobin, Dr. Randy Clemons, Dr. Laura Lewis, Peter Stadtmueller, Dr. Joseph Johnson, Katie Kilmer, Dr. James Snyder, Dr. Averill Earls and Dr. Emmaleigh Kirchner.

These classes are all happening thanks to FSAT, who has been consistently working alongside Mercyhurst to give students the study abroad experience of a lifetime.

All of these trips are loaded with fantastic itineraries. Students can attend Irish festivals in Dungarvan, go whitewater rafting in Costa Rica or visit the site of the original Olympics in Greece.

Deadlines are coming quickly, so if you are interested in attending a study abroad trip this year, be sure to come to the Study Abroad Fair in the Student Union Great Room on Sept. 15 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Study abroad trips are a once in a lifetime experience.