Health and Safety Inspections conducted by ResLife

RayLynn Chraston, Staff writer

This week, the Residence Life Office began conducting health and safety inspections within the residential areas.

Throughout the year, the Residence Life staff will conduct such inspections as needed to ensure the health and safety of those living on campus.

These inspections are seen as a vital part of what the Office of Residence Life and Student Conduct does, especially during a pandemic. Mercyhurst’s main goal is to keep our community as safe and healthy as possible.

Additionally, Residence Life is looking for anything that needs to be repaired in campus rooms and apartments before it becomes an emergency.

During these inspections, the RAs will come to each room and apartment to check for any issues.

Normally, RAs will send out an email a couple days beforehand so students are prepared for them to come as well as remind everyone that these inspections will be conducted.

To begin, the RAs will knock on the door to announce themselves before entering the room.

If students are there when the RAs arrive they may ask that the residents step out into the hall. Additionally, students will need to wear a mask while the inspection takes place. If no one is at the residence, the RAs will then use a master key to enter the room.

The main things that the RAs are determining is whether the living spaces are clean and have no maintenance issues as well as making sure there are no illegal substances or alcohol if the residents are under the age of 21.

If any illegal or prohibited items are found during these inspections, they will be confiscated in accordance with the Confiscation Policy and the residents will be adjudicated through the conduct system according to the Student Handbook.

While in a pandemic, health and safety practices are a vital part of the campus functioning. In alignment with recommendations from the Center for Disease Control and the State of Pennsylvania regarding COVID-19, to review room cleanliness, Health & Safety inspections may be conducted more frequently than once per month.

The students are required to maintain a safe, healthy, and hygienic living environment.

In addition, if there is a problem or condition that needs to be corrected, the students will be given an opportunity to make the necessary alterations or adjustments.

However, failure to comply with mandated adjustments will result in the students being adjudicated through the conduct system.

All in all, there is not anything to fear when it comes to the health and safety inspections. The Office of Residence Life and Student Conduct in conjunction with the University is taking precautions to keep us on campus and maintain the health and safety of the community. Therefore, if students keep their living spaces clean and do not have possession of illegal or prohibited substances, they will be able to pass the inspection that is conducted.

For more information on this topic, view the Student Handbook, which is available online through the Mercyhurst HUB page.