Haunted Hurst returns

Elphena Elsar, Staff writer

Haunted Hurst is one of the many annual campus-wide traditions which was hosted this year by the Multicultural and Student Activities Council (MAC/SAC). The event began at 6 p.m. on Oct. 30 and ran through until midnight.

Dating back to 1994-1997, the Criminal Justice Club was the first to introduce the haunted house idea on campus. In 1994, the haunted house was open for the entire weekend—from 7 p.m. to midnight on Friday and 7 to 10 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

For the three years the Criminal Justice Club ran a haunted house, the event was held in the school’s parking garage. The haunted house hosted by the Criminal Justice Club was monetized, which is no longer the case today. Haunted Hurst is now free and open to all.

Although funds were collected by the Criminal Justice Club in the past, the funds were used for a good cause—to cover a week-long stay at the National Criminal Justice Convention for members of the club.

Admission prices ranged from one dollar for students with a college ID, to three dollars for regular adults and one dollar for children under 12 (when accompanied by adults).

Things look a lot different today; the tour takes place in the different buildings around campus where hauntings were said to have happened, and there is no admission fee for the students who attend. It is now also hosted by MAC/SAC instead of Criminal Justice Club.

Before the event, attendees were asked to RSVP using Laker Launchpad, which directed them to a Signup Genius website where attendees could choose from tours set at 15-minute intervals.

The were two options for the tours—sensory friendly and non-sensory friendly tours. The sensory friendly tours went from 6-7 p.m. while non sensory friendly tours went from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. The sensory friendly tours did not have active scarers, instead students dressed in spooky costumes passed out candy to those on the tour. All tours began and ended in the Student Union Great Room and featured the same Mecyhurst ghost stories read at specific locations throughout the tour.

“Although Haunted Hurst’s main organizers included Janiece Withers and Joey Franz, MAC/SAC co-chairs, people from all over campus helped to work the event. MAC/SAC programmers set up, made sure it all ran smoothly and tore it down after. Ambassadors were the tour guides for the event, and MSG Senators also helped with some setup, scaring and running of the event,” said junior Holly O’Donald, a MAC/SAC programmer.

Julia Kearns, was one student-athlete who attended the event. “[I] had a fun experience at the Haunted Hurst tours,” said Kearns.

Kearns was one of the few students that went in both the sensory friendly tour and the non-sensory friendly tour.

“I went on the sensory tour where I was able to hear the spooky stories while being brought around the most haunted spots on campus,” said Kearns.

“On the non-sensory tour, it was fun. We helped each other during the tour. They read the spooky stories during the tours as the scarers did their jobs allowing for a fun night!”

MAC/SAC as well as MSG and Ambassadors collectively put great efforts into making Haunted Hurst a memorable event. In addition to the tours students could enjoy arts and crafts, food and drinks either before or after their tour.

Everyone who assisted in making the Haunted Hurst event a success deserves the highest commendation.