Mercyhurst stands with immigrants

Eva Mihelich, News editor

Mercyhurst is dedicated to providing a safe space for everyone regardless of race, gender identity, sexual orientation or ethnicity.

Because of this, the Office for Diversity and Inclusion is hosting a campus-wide day of action to raise awareness for immigrant struggles and solidarity in our differences.

Mercyhurst will be participating in the national “I Stand with Immigrants” Campus Day of Action, on Wednesday, Nov. 2, for the fifth year in a row.

Alice Edwards, chair of the Department of World Languages and Cultures, shared the importance of this day and why students and employees should take notice of it.

“Immigration and refugees are one of the Sisters of Mercy critical concerns, as well as a concern of the department of World Languages and Cultures, who is co-sponsoring the activities for the day,” said Edwards.

Mercyhurst was founded in the Mercy Mission and the core values of the Sisters of Mercy. Their five critical concerns inspire us to work toward more unity, equity and inclusion on campus.

Mercyhurst also draws in many international students to play on sports teams or to simply experience the American education experience.

For this reason, it is important to educate the campus community on the beauty of diversity and the melting pot nature that America has.

Although it may be different to face cultural differences at first, it is through these differences that Mercyhurst can grow in inclusion.

Mercyhurst is collecting items for the clients at the U.S. Committee on Refugees and Immigrants’ office in Erie, also known as the International Institute. They are in need of umbrellas and small/medium storage bins (used in kitchens to keep food safe).

Donations can be dropped off in the round bin on the first floor near the Presidents’ Office up until Wednesday, Nov. 2.

Language clubs will be participating in a clean up at the International Institute on East 26th Street that day, as well.

All are welcome to attend. Volunteers receive a free “I Stand With Immigrants”T-shirt. Those who can’t attend can purchase a T-shirt from the Grotto Commons lobby on Nov. 2 to benefit the Institute.

Consider participating in this impactful experience.

It will teach students how to help out immigrants in a way that the Sisters of Mercy stand for.

Embrace the differences found on our campus by taking action and making a positive impact on the Erie community.

Contact Alice Edwards with any questions about the Day of Action