A historic reunion at the Hagen History Center houses hurst history alumni

Eva Mihelich, News editor

It is always a rewarding experience for professors to see where past students of theirs end up, and Chris Magoc, Ph.D., History professor, got to experience just this.

Three Mercyhurst alumni now work at the Hagen History Cen-ter. KayAnn Warner (Class of 2011) works as a processing archi-vist, while Adam Macrino (Class of 2022) and Anna Foll (Class of 2018) work as guest services co-ordinators. All three alumni were a part of the Public History and Museum Studies program which, according to the Mercyhurst website, “prepares students for increasing-ly attractive careers in such areas as museums, historic site man-agement, business history, and “applied” history in public policy making.”

Magoc said that it is a gratifying experience to see the ‘Fabulous Mercyhurst Three of the Hagen History Center,’ as he lovingly called them in a Mercyhurst press release, succeed in the area that Mercyhurst taught them all about. “It is so gratifying for us to see three of the finest graduates of our Public History program in recent years making important contributions to Erie County’s leading historical organization, particularly at such an exciting time at the Hagen History Center. As with other graduates of our program employed at museums, historic sites, and libraries across America, KayAnn, Adam, and Anna make us proud,” said Magoc in the press release.

The Public History and Muse-um Studies program is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Although it is not one of the oldest programs at Mercyhurst, it is clearly making an impact on the community. Magoc highlighted the strength of the program and the unique aspects of both internship requirements as well as senior capstone projects that students complete.

Students have interned at some notable places in the country, such as the Gettysburg National Battlefield, the Historic Mount Vernon Gardens and Estate, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the Petrie Musuem of Egyptology in London. This just shows that Mercyhurst’s program offers unique opportunities for their students in many fields, Public History and Museum Studies being one of the most recent examples.

“The fact that three of our stellar alumni from recent years—KayAnn Warner, Adam Macrino, and Anna Foll—all hold positions at Erie County’s premier histori-cal organization is a testament to the superior hard work and talents of these graduates, as well as the strength of the Mercyhurst Public History program,” said Magoc.

These three students are a testament to Mercyhurst’s great preparation for their future careers. Internships and senior projects give undergraduates the experience necessary to act with confidence and leadership. The Hagen History Center is a great part of the Erie community. They regularly host events that are seasonally appropriate— in October there was an exhibit revolving around true crime.

If you are desiring a fun and interesting trip off of campus, consider visiting the History Center to both enrich your mind and to support the “‘Fabulous Mercyhurst Three.’” It is located at 356 East 6th Street, Erie, PA 16507, and is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays.

If you are looking for something to do in Erie try swinging down to the Hagen History Center and pay our alumni a visit. They are incredibly intelligent and welcoming and are always excited to welcome Lakers at the center. The Hagen History department of Mercyhurst has a lot to be proud of.

“Now in our twentieth year, the Public History concentration has prepared students to take posi-tions as curators, educators, archi-vists, and administrators at museums and historic sites across the country,” said Magoc. The alumni family from Mercyhurst continues to grow and you are bound to run into fellow graduates at some point in your future. Hurst is and always will be home so keep a lookout for your fellow Laker graduates whenever you move away from Erie!