Chipotle visionary imparts wisdom about branding to ’Hurst students

Tung Vu

William Espey, the driving force behind the Chipotle Mexican Grill brand, gives a presentation to Mercyhurst students, courtesy of the Mercyhurst Student Government Speaker Series.

Mary Barnes, Copy editor

Chipotle marketing visionary William Espey visited campus on Tuesday, Nov. 10, to discuss with students how to brand and market themselves in the professional world.

He also talked about how Chipotle has expanded its stores and brand in the past two decades.

Speaking in the Mary D’Angelo Performing Arts Center as a continuation of the fall portion of the Mercyhurst Student Government Speaker Series, Espey was brought to Mercyhurst by MSG Events Coordinator Garrett Erwin.

The inspiration for inviting Espey, among other reasons, was the opening of Erie’s newest Chipotle location.

Junior biology major Kelsey Davies thought Epsey was a very personable speaker.

“He stressed that it is important to make personal connections and speak a similar language within the field you will be going into,” said Davies. “It is being self aware and that makes you better at advertising yourself, which is very applicable to applying for graduate schools.”

In addition to being open to students, many people from the Erie community were welcomed to attend this event. More than 400 people attended.

One $50 gift card and two $25 gift cards were awarded to three lucky audience members.