Student reviews mixed on Cafe Diem changes

Daniel Leonard, Staff writer

Managed and employed by Hospitality Management students, the dining service at Cafe Diem extended its hours to midnight, Mondays through Fridays, and began accepting Dining Dollars to accommodate a wider range of students.

While it is more common for freshmen to purchase a set meal plan that either includes a limited number of meals on campus, or an unlimited number of meals and an allotted number of Bonus Bucks, many upperclassman students choose to purchase Dining Dollars, which are more flexible to fit the student’s schedule and provide a 20 percent discount on all food purchases.

Due to the Cafe being on a different system in the past, it was unable to accept Dining Dollars and could only accept cash, credit card and debit card transactions. The recently installed system allows students to use Dining Dollars and receive their 20 percent off discount, but has simultaneously raised the base prices by 20 percent to accommodate this discount and ensure the Cafe makes a profit.

“We thought that we couldn’t afford to be selling coffee for 60 cents, so we raised the price,” said Jordan Tidwell, student manager and a senior Hospitality Management major. “We have gotten a couple of comments about the rise in price, but we feel that our prices are already low to begin with, so it is pretty reasonable.”

While some students hate the increase in price, others are more focused on the change in time and ability to use Dining Dollars.

“I did not go to the Cafe before the changes, but their extended hours make it easier to go any time before midnight and now I’m practically addicted to their cappuccinos,” Jackie Noca, sophomore Art Therapy major, said.

Some students are pleased with the new changes.

“Overall the food is really good, and it is more convenient for after I get off of work and want to get something during the week at least,” Kaylee Frohring, sophomore Graphic Design and Psychology double major, said.

The changes are both good and bad for workers as well.

“I personally like it and the opportunity to be open right in front of the new 24-hour lounge certainly increases the business we receive. I get more hours to complete for service, so I am happy,” said Zachary Farsace, sophomore Hospitality Management major.

“However,” Farsace said, “it takes a toll on those who have early classes and those who aren’t used to the late hours. One of the two managers have to close every night, which is tough on them.”

Overall, these two changes have pretty much tripled the Cafe Diem’s income while also accommodating students longer while they are in the 24-hour lounge.