New research resources at Hammermill

Donny Bryant III, Contributing writer

Over the past several years, Mercyhurst’s Hammermill Library has received many useful and updated resources to help students in research both digitally and in the print collection.
The library has received donations of new print books for students to use, but most of the new additions to the library have been made digitally. The resources are available on the new library website, www.library.mercyhurst.edu.

Darci Jones, Director of University Libraries and Online Learning, describes the website as a “total makeover” from what it previously had been.

The search bar that allows students to look for thousands of resources that the library has to offer remains the same, but there is also a scrolling bar below it that displays the newest releases and titles available through Hammermill.

Students can borrow books in both print and e-book format from Mercyhurst’s library or through interlibrary loan with other libraries in the area.

“Taking advantage of these resources are so useful for students because we have subscriptions to some resources that are behind paywalls online,” said Karen Niemla, Hammermill Reference and Research Librarian. “We have subscriptions for a lot of journals, newspapers, including the Erie Times-News. Instead of having to pay for that, you can search through the library in the catalogue for free.”

If students are having trouble with their papers or essays, they can utilize the search database in the “find” tab of the website. The new database layout has sources that list from A-Z so students can have an easier time locating what their subject is.

Niemla is available to help students use the new resources that the library has to offer as well as answer any questions about the library and its resources.

“Most of what I do is teach people how to use the databases and answer questions about finding articles and books,” Niemla said. “I can help students start research as well. They don’t have to do it all on their own.”

The new library website is completely user focused so that students can research and utilize the resources more effectively. Under the FAQ section, students can find answers to common questions along with a place to voice their own questions and concerns.

A YouTube channel, called Hammermill & Ridge Libraries, has also been made for the library, containing videos of other additions that are new this year.

Jones is thrilled to explore new hours for the Hammermill Library to aid students with school. She and the library staff are exploring adding more weekend hours for the tutoring and writing centers, such as opening at 9 a.m. on Sundays.

One of the routes that the library is exploring is having a testing center for students to take makeup tests. The testing center will help students if they have a sport during their testing time or another reason that requires for them to not take the test at their scheduled time.

The library plans to have complete renovations on the first floor to update style and accessibility in the summer of 2019. Pictures for these new renovations will be released in the next few months for students to get a general idea of the changes to Hammermill for the next school year.