Halloween on campus

Paul Cohen, Contributing writer

Does Mercyhurst University celebrate Halloween to a satisfactory extent?

Well, there is no such thing as celebrating Halloween too much, whether you are a kid or an adult.

But I would ultimately say that the answer to the above question is yes.

Mercyhurst University, every year, holds two MAC/SAC events.

“Don’t be a Drunken Pumpkin” allows everybody to paint pumpkins while learning all about how to be safe with alcohol.

It is fun to celebrate Halloween, but you need to be safe, and I think this event does a great job at teaching students how to be safe.

“Haunted Hurst” is the ultimate Halloween party for everybody on campus.

Decorating the campus to make it terrifying and taking everyone on haunted tours?

What on earth is there to dislike about that?

The Mercyhurst Student Government sure knows how to celebrate Halloween, and how to do so with clubs all around Mercyhurst University.

Circle K International, the Psych Club and many other clubs have had or will be having Halloween parties.

The Autism Initiative Program has a Halloween party each year, too. They now hold in the Student Union Great Room.

The Public Health Club made cards with leaves glued onto them for kids in hospitals.

On Halloween, many offices around campus give out candy to students.

Last year, Black Students for Unity went trick-or-treating for UNICEF.

The ambassadors have a Halloween party every year in the Student Union Great Room.

That is also where the English Department had its Halloween party last year.

The Honors Society carves pumpkins, as does Circle K.

This is the first year, however, when the Campus Ministry did not carve pumpkins.

However, despite that they are still having a Halloween party on Halloween night.

The Grotto Commons gets decorated and I keep seeing signs around campus for a pumpkin-carving contest.

Knowing Parkhurst Dining Services, I’m pretty sure that there will be Halloween-themed foods.

I hear that the Irish Club is holding its first meeting on Halloween. I wonder if it will be Halloween-themed. I’ll find out when I go.

On the whole, I think that Mercyhurst University celebrates Halloween to a very satisfactory extent.