What’s new at the Laker Inn?

Erin Almeter, Staff writer

The bottom floor of the Sr. Carolyn Hermann Student Union, which is home to food options for students, has seen some major changes over the past two semesters. The Laker Inn closed last year in order to complete renovations and build The Roost. While it reopened last semester, the Laker Inn has undergone more changes in anticipation of this new school year.

Some recent changes were the Laker Inn’s hours of operation. The Cinco Cantina and The Grille are open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Meanwhile, Crimson Cup Coffee, Bruetta Tea and On the Go are open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.

At 4 pm, The Roost opens up and Monday through Wednesday and closes at 10 p. m. Thursday and Friday, it is open from 4 p.m. until midnight. The Saturday and Sunday opening time is at noon, but Saturday The Roost is open until midnight. Sunday The Roost closes at 10 p.m.

Last year the Cinco Cantina and the Egg Bar were located in the Laker Inn. However, this year the Egg Bar was transitioned into the Grille. This change came from direct meetings between the Mercyhurst Student Government Food Committee and Parkhurst.

“The major concern brought to them by the student body was to bring back The Grille items and so we listened,” Katie Boyd, Parkhurst Director of Dining said.

However, students are still able to get the breakfast sandwich and occasional specials at the Grille section of the Laker Inn. The Grille and Cantina also added more variety in their food offerings. The Cinco Cantina offers made-to-order tacos, burritos, salads, tortilla chips, salsa and queso. The Grille offers made-to-order burgers, sandwiches, pizza logs and mozzarella sticks.

Weekly specials will still be offered at the Laker Inn and are planned in advance. When deciding what specials are offered, Boyd states that they look to the student’s comment cards as well as the culinary trends.

The Try-Its for freshmen that were offered in 2016 and 2017 are currently not in the Parkhurst plan to come back.

“It is not in the near future discussion; it is just because of how the meal plans are structured currently,” Boyd said.

As for any physical renovations, there are plans to transform part of the dining area of the Laker Inn into “Luke’s Landing.”

“It will be much nicer, up to date and make it a nice hang out for the students,” Boyd said.

There will not be any more renovations in the food service part of the Laker Inn as of right now.

Additionally, Boyd explained why it was decided that The Roost will be open on Fridays.

“Some students, especially the ones that are not here on the weekends, are able to experience The Roost during the week instead of having to come back on weekends,” Boyd said.

The early weekend hours for The Roost are also meant to accommodate sporting events and arts and entertainment events that take place on campus Boyd explained as well.

The Roost will be hosting a variety of events throughout the semester as well.

Karaoke will happen every Tuesday night, there will be Trivia Nights every third Wednesday of the month and Irish Literature readings on Monday nights. Additionally, there are different challenges planned throughout the year. The Pretzel Challenge, which occurred on Sept. 11, was the kickoff. Students have the opportunity to take part in the El Masivo Challenge on Oct. 2 and the Hot Wing Challenge on Nov. 13.

“Last year was opening and getting a feel for what the business was. This year is more engagement and refining the way things will be done,” Boyd said.

One more future plan that has been discussed is adding mobile ordering. Boyd said that students should be on the lookout for potential mobile ordering most likely for the Anchor Express in Ryan Hall with payment being done through the GET app.

Boyd stresses that she loves and appreciates hearing students’ comments. Be on the lookout for your personal comment cards being put on display or next to your food suggestions if you have left one.

If students have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to Katie Boyd at kboyd@mercyhurst.edu.