In praise of MU sports

Marina Boyle, Managing Editor

Women’s sports are something that has been underappreciated across times and cultures.

When it comes to watching college football or college basketball, chances are we’re thinking of men.

That’s why when I started to notice the efforts of Mercyhurst University to promote women’s sports this year, I had to say something.

I am not a student-athlete, but as a Laker, I think we’re doing better than ever.

I have noticed so many posters this year with photos of our athletes; both male and female.

Women’s games have been at prime times and attendance has been great.

The MSG Spirit Committee has exclusively hosted spirit events at women’s games, for example by supporting field hockey and volleyball.

The new Division II bowling team brings Mercyhurst’s number of men’s and women’s sports to equal.

Like I said earlier, I’m impressed with these efforts to increase the appreciation of women’s sports.

With the plans to increase our club sport offerings, I’m excited to see how that too could get more women involved.

Title IX legislation legally ensures equality of sexes in terms of treatment of athletes and the number of teams.

However, things like the amount of times they get to practice on the field, times of games and attendance or promotion of women’s sports are not governed by this.

That said, these seem to be the areas where Mercyhurst Univeristy is stepping up to the plate.

I remember being in a Walmart last year and seeing women’s athletics playing on a TV.

I actually did a double take because that’s rare to see.

It made an impact on me because women’s sports were visible in lowkey and yet mainstream way.

Where Mercyhurst has got it right this year is visibility.

I think we’re more aware that our girls are wonderfully talented than ever before.

I’ve been told by friends who are athletes that better game times and increased awareness reflect the efforts of coaches who are advocating for their teams.

As well as this, the Saxon Stadium renovations have helped to increase attendance.

This is because of better seating and lighting for both men and women.

This means more games can be played in the evenings so all sports can be played at later start times, which often draws more student support.

Marketing has also done its part with great branding and new poster designs.

We are not perfect, but it’s great to see athletics getting the attention it deserves.

For women in particular, I’m delighted to see that the sacrifices they make for their sports are being seen.