New changes and additions to dining

Bella Lee, Staff writer

The spring semester is upon us. It looks a lot different than this time last year, when we were able to gather with friends, eat together and attend classes without the need for face masks or Zoom.

Mercyhurst’s dining facilities are no stranger to these changes, but they are bringing some exciting updates this semester.

The Roost, everyone’s favorite on-campus pub, opened for dinein services again starting Feb. 8 at a 30-guest capacity. Two campus-wide favorites of the Roost, karaoke and trivia, are also making a comeback with trivia resuming on Wednesdays starting Feb. 10 and karaoke on Mondays starting Feb. 15.

The Bravo, a popular part of the Grotto Commons, is now open on Monday-Friday from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The deli hours are now ex- tended at the Grotto Commons from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Mon- day-Friday. Waffles, which recently re- turned to the Grotto Commons, will now be returning to the 501 Grille as well. Seating at all indoor dining locations is at 50 percent capacity. However, one major change that students might have noticed is the moving of the Laker Canti- na from the Laker Inn to the An- chor Express.

“We know how much every- one loves the Cinco station on campus,” said Katie Boyd, general manager of Parkhurst. “We wanted to offer the Cinco Cantina at the Anchor Express because of the extended hours they are open, which will give students more time to enjoy the station after class.”

Taking the site of the Cantina is the Laker Inn Deli, where stu- dents can get made-to-order sandwiches, wraps and flat bread pizzas. There are also gluten-free and vegan options that are accessible to students and over 30 items to customize your meal, which can also be made into a combo with the addition of fresh chips, two cookies and a fountain beverage.

Like its predecessor, the Laker Inn Deli will accept board swipes via the GET app. Students can also look forward to a variety of dining events for the month of February.

On Feb. 5, there was a Super Bowl lunch at the 501 Grille and the celebration of World Nutella Day at the Grotto.

To commemorate this, Nutella is now offered every day at the breakfast station. On Feb. 9, the Grotto is celebrating National Pizza Day by serving mac and cheese pizza, which was a student request via Instagram. From Feb. 12 to Feb. 14, the Anchor Express will be offering heart shaped cookie cakes for Valentine’s Day.

On Feb. 14, students can also head to the Roost where they can receive a free heart-shaped cookie with any purchase. The 501 Grille is having a “Thirsty Thursday” on Feb. 18, where they will be serving up root beer or orange creamsicle floats.

On Feb. 25, the Grotto will be celebrating National Chili Day for students to pack on the heat and see how much spiciness they can handle.

With the addition of these changes, students can have a sense of normalcy even with all that we’ve been enduring. Students can follow the dining services @mercyhurstdining to stay up to date with their events.