RA applications on Teams

Ashley Barletta, Staff writer

Resident Assistants (RAs) do so much on campus, not only do they ensure our safety, but also our happiness. The RA selection process for the 2021-2022 school years has just begun, so if you are interested in becoming an RA, the time to apply is now.

Last week, assistant director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, Michael Grasso, sent out an email to all Mercyhurst students. Contained in this email is a link to the Microsoft Teams page created for the aspiring RAs, a PowerPoint presentation outlining the position description and the application process, as well as some important dates that those who are interested should keep a close eye on.

“Don’t be intimidated by the application process. It might seem like a lot of steps, but if you break it down into bite sized chunks it won’t be too bad,” said Elizabeth Meade, junior Dance and Marketing double major and second year RA in the Briggs Apartments.

“All the current RAs are in the Application Teams group, so be sure to reach out to us with any questions about the application or about what it’s like to be an RA.”

Requirements for becoming an RA are that you must be a fulltime student at Mercyhurst, have a minimum GPA of 2.5, are in good conduct standing and are willing and ready to complete any tasks assigned to you.

One of the obligations that an RA must be able to fulfill is community development. This is done by hosting events, or programs, which take place within the residence in which you work. These events are always well-advertised with the use of signage in the hallways and Teams messages.

RAs also need to be ready to assist residents when necessary with maintenance issues, roommate conflicts, other housing problems, or occurrences and behaviors that go against the student code of conduct and need to be documented.

Application submissions are due on Feb. 26 at 4:30 p.m. Anyone who submits an application will move on to the next step in the process, which is the completion of three activities on Microsoft Teams. These activities will need to be finished by March 8 at 9 a.m.

After that, successful applicants will need to provide references and be interviewed for the job. These interviews will be held from March 10 through March 19, will be 30 minutes long and due to restrictions, will be all virtual.

Once all of these steps are finished, applicants will either receive a job offering, an alternate position or neither of these. If chosen to be an RA, there are summer training sessions which will need to be completed.

“I like being an RA because I can help support students in their social and academic endeavors,” Olivia Andazola, a sophomore Art Therapy major and RA in the Lewis Apartments, said.

Carin Rushnock, a junior Sports Medicine and Pre-Med major, as well as a RA in Baldwin Hall, echoed these sentiments.

“Being an RA is extremely rewarding. You get to meet some amazing people and you develop meaningful connections. It’s amazing getting to know your residents and having the chance to help them when needed,” said Rushnock. “If anyone is looking to find a purpose and way to help people I truly recommend applying to be an RA. It not only teaches you how to be a leader but it also teaches you how to manage your life and live it to the fullest. It’s a blessing in disguise sometimes, but it is great to be a part of the Residence Life staff.”

RAs also receive free housing and a meal plan or dining stipend. To learn more, attend one of the two RA Info Nights which will be held by Grasso on dates to be announced later. You can email him at mgrasso@ mercyhurst.edu with any questions.