Semi-annual Rent-a-Habitator set in motion for October

Hannah Brooks, Contributing writer

Mercyhurst’s Habitat for Humanity Club is hosting its semiannual “Rent-A-Habitator” fundraiser during the month of October.

The fundraiser took place last weekend, on Oct. 23 and 24, and will also be taking place this upcoming weekend, Oct. 30 and 31.

For this fundraiser, faculty and staff members are given the opportunity to “rent” a student to complete housework, chores, and home improvements for them in exchange for a donation to the club.

Habitat for Humanity is a global nonprofit housing organization which does work in local communities across America, as well as in 70 countries around the world.

The Habitat for Humanity website describes their vision as “a world where everyone has a decent place to live.”

Mercyhurst’s Habitat for Humanity Chapter is a student-led organization that works with the local affiliate, other campus chapters, and the International headquarters on various sponsored projects.

The club works in cooperation with others to help people in need to create a better habitat to live in, as well as to work and provide social services to the community.

Rent-A-Habitator Coordinator, Erin Smith, said, “The fundraiser donations go toward our Spring Break trip so we can pay for students to go on a Habitat build. It covers some of the cost of traveling, the stay and a nice dinner at the end of the trip for everyone.”

Students are available to be “rented” for their services between the hours of 11 a.m.1 p.m., as well as 1-3 p.m. on both Oct. 30 and 31.

Though there are many things that students may do during this fundraiser, they often do yard work such as raking leaves, pruning, grass cutting, or mulching.

In addition to the Rent-A-Habitator fundraiser, the Habitat for Humanity Club offers ample opportunity for interested students to get involved and do service both on campus and in the community.

There is even an opportunity travel to other parts of the country to do service as part of the Spring Break trip.

Students are both welcomed and encouraged to take part in the club, which provides a great opportunity for service, but also to support a great cause and help others who are in need.

Students may also keep in mind that they are welcome to help out and participate in the fundraiser even if they are not a member of the club.

Anybody who is interested in participating in Habitat for Humanity Club activities can absolutely lend a hand and help.

Participating in this fundraiser is a way to not only support a great cause, but also to get the opportunity to meet other Mercyhurst students as well as faculty and staff members.

Students who are interested in joining the club or learning more about it can reach out to club President, Abigail Springer at asprin94@lakers.mercyhurst.edu.

Any student who is not a part of the club but is interested in volunteering this upcoming weekend can email Erin Smith at esmith98@lakers.mercyhurst.edu.