RSCO Feature: Music Therpay Club

Vydalia Weatherly, Staff writer

Attention Lakers! Are you looking to get more involved this semester on campus? There is a new and exciting RSCO on campus that you should consider. Music Therapy Club was formed in December 2022, but officially got approved to be an RSCO at the start of the spring semester. “Our main mission of Music Therapy Club is to educate students and the general community about the benefits of research-based music as it applies to a therapeutic setting. We also strive to operate on a theme of inclusivity as we address different populations through music therapy, and we want to advocate for ourselves and for others to really understand what music therapy is and the benefits of it” says Addie McCoy, a junior Musical Therapy major, who serves as the RSCO’s vice president. Emily McGarvey, a senior Music Therapy major and psychology minor, serves as the RSCO’s president. While Music Therapy is still in its infancy, McGarvey hopes to increase membership and the influence of the RSCO. “We’re hoping to get our name out there and spread awareness for what music therapy is and what it can do. We’re hoping to help not only our music therapy majors become more informed about their own field and what is required, but also the Mercyhurst and Erie community,” says McGarvey.Before it was an official RSCO, Music Therapy Club went caroling at two local nursing homes in December to spread holiday cheer. While Music Therapy Club may be a new RSCO, they are not taking things slow. Music Therapy Club is looking towards the future and has already started planning events for the rest of the semester. “This semester we are planning on doing Singing Valentines that we are making available for people to send to their professors, or to each other if they so choose. More details about that will be posted within the coming weeks. We also plan on reaching out to other organizations such as the Art Therapy Club and collaborating,” said McCoy. The RSCO may be new, but it is already having a major impact on its members. “My favorite moment so far with the Music Therapy Club has been when we had our first meeting, and I saw how many people were just as excited as I was to start this club. I can’t wait to help out the underclassmen and show them the things that I’ve learned over the years,” said McGarvey. Music Therapy Club meets every Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. in the Mary D’Angelo Performing Arts Center in Classroom 1. “Anyone, and everyone can participate in our club. Right now, it is all music therapy majors, but we would really like others who have any interest in music therapy or are just curious of what we do to join,” said McCoy. If you are interested in becoming involved with Music Therapy Club or have any questions, you can reach out to McGarvey or McCoy. To stay updated with what Music Therapy Club, go follow @HurstMTClub.