Kazual power to the mic

Claire Eichner, Contributing writer

Free t-shirts, free cups and free entertainment. Black Students for Unity (BSU), Students Activities Council and Multicultural Activities Council put on event on Feb. 18. called “Power to the Mic” that did not disappoint.
The groups brought in a band called Kazual (pronounced casual), which is made up of three brothers, one cousin, and is a mix of R&B, hip hop, pop and a capella that brings a unique sound to listeners ears, which they call the “Kazual Experience.”
The impressive group sang songs such as “Stay with Me” by Sam Smith, “All of Me” by John Legend, “My Girl” by the Temptations and various original songs that they composed and shared with the audience.
The group has performed at over 150 different colleges, universities, fairs and festivals. They have even made it to the Top 40 on America’s Got Talent and won multiple awards.
Along with providing a mind blowing performance, the group also paid mention to Black History Month, what it means to them and what it should mean to students here on campus and to all college campuses around the world. The inspiring family band successfully gave the unparalleled “Kazual Experience” and a sense of pride and unity that positively impacted the entire audience.
After the “Kazual Experience,” the night really began to heat up. Multiple students shared their own talents and spoke their minds through spoken words, rap and a song from the critically acclaimed musical “Hairspray.”
A heartwarming poem was read by not only the president of BSU, but also a well-known poet named Portia from South Chicago. She radiated confidence and encouraged all students to never be ashamed of who they are and always find the courage to speak their minds.
Each one of the performances was extremely well received, well put together and left the audience with the common idea that it should not matter to others about their appearance, gender, beliefs. Everyone should accept people for who they are because we are stronger together, not apart.
The entire night was put together mainly by BSU to celebrate Black History Month and to serve as a much needed reminder to all those on campus that diversity is something that we all need to thrive. Black Students for Unity is one of the most active clubs on campus and is always looking for and welcoming new members who are interested in joining.
There are no requirements to join the club, all you have to be willing to do is “strive to promote unity, diversity and inclusion” here at Mercyhurst University, according to BSU.