RSCO Feature: E-Sports Club

Hailey Steidle, Staff writer

On May 27, many Lakers received an email from the E-Sports Club on campus who were advertising their upcoming event. The newly formed club is marking their place on campus as a way for students to play video games together and establish a community, friendships, school spirit and a sense of belonging on campus for many of the students who get involved.
The club was formed to create an inclusive and fun competitive environment on campus for students who may enjoy video games. Those who are passionate about the video games they play can now showcase their talents in an inclusive and supportive environment. Many students who have an unspoken talent in playing video games now have an outlet to get to know others on campus as well as spend time with those that they meet and bond through their shared interests.
E-Sports is a world of competitive and organized video gaming that has both professional gamers and amateurs. Recently the world of E-Sports has taken off as streaming services and live events have turned everyday casual gamers into professionals who can make up to seven-figures from competitions and brand endorsements.
Common games that professionals play in competitions and on livestreams are League of Legends, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Overwatch and Madden. Massive crowds are often drawn in as millions tune in to watch professional compete in their favorite games, making it an incredibly good opportunity to companies to market and advertise, which is how these individuals earn up to 7-figures every year.
The club is hosting an event on Saturday, May 6, at 6 p.m. for any individual who may want to participate, whether as a spectator or a competitor. The event itself will be their first annual NBA 2K23 Tournament with brackets of 16 teams who signed up virtually on a first-come, first-served basis.
Mercyhurst focuses heavily on the involvement of their students in clubs, so the formation of this club now allows for students with more specific interests to find other individuals around campus who enjoy similar things to themselves.
The E-Sports club founders have made it known that the club is open to any student who may want to get involved, whether they play or just plan to spectate, all are welcome. The inclusive energy that the founders of the club have allows any possible future members to feel welcome and excited about the possibilities of meeting friends who are interested in similar activities.
If you are looking for a way to get involved on campus and love video games, the E-Sports club might be perfect for you!