Professors and students discuss current events

Lauren Abbott, Editor in chief

Current events offer a unique opportunity for faculty and students to take theory and ideas from the classroom and engage in lively discussion out of normal class time. 

On Tuesday, Jan. 28, the National Security Club hosted a discussion titled “Current Events: Death of Qasem Soleimani and the Implications in the Middle East.” 

The discussion included Duncan McGill, Ph.D, Dean of the Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences; Christopher Corpora, Ph.D, professor of practice of Intelligence Studies; Fred Hoffman, assistant professor of Intelligence Studies; and Brian Ripley, Ph.D, professor of Political Science. 

“We chose this topic primarily because as the national Security Club, we are about enhancing the knowledge of our members in events that impact the United States’ national security and its national interests,” club president Aaron Qaio said.

Students filled the room to listen to the discussion, which started with guided questions, opened up for student questions and featured insightful commentary from the professors. Intelligence Studies Professors have experience in the national security realm over their careers and brought real world insight to the discussion.

“I’ve had class with most of these professors and wanted to hear their take on current tensions with Iran,” junior Intelligence Studies major Doug Wilsch said.