MU utilizes daily self-health screening

Maiya Florence-Harding, Staff writer

Everyday students and faculty of Mercyhurst University are required to screen themselves for COVID-19.

On move in day students were given two reusable MU Masks, two disposable masks and a thermometer to aid them in following the guidelines. Upon waking up, students are to self-screen.

This means taking their temperature every day, as well as asking them-selves the following questions:

1. Are you currently experiencing any COVID-19-related symptoms? These include a shortness of breath, cough, fever, chills, muscle/body aches, head-ache, sore throat and/or a loss of taste or smell.

2. Have you tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days?

3. Have you been in close contact with someone confirmed or probable for COVID-19 positivity within the past 14 days?

4. In the past 14 days have you traveled to a state designated as a “hotspot” by Pennsylvania or traveled internationally?

The current “hotspot” states include Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.

If a student or faculty member answers yes to any of those questions, then they have been instructed to immediately contact the campus health center at (814)824-2431 or health@mercyhurst.edu and attend classes virtually, rather than in-person.

If at any time a student forgets the COVID-19 questions, they can easily be found and filled out at https://go.mercyhurst.edu/register/screen.

Whether or not a student or faculty member is showing symptoms, they are required to wear masks except while eating, inside their personal dorm/office, or if they have a predetermined medical accommodation. Everyone is to be socially distanced six feet apart.

In class, students wipe down desks with the provided wipes before and after taking a seat. In addition, they are assigned one seat for the entire semester to limit contact. If there is a hand sanitizer station, then it should be used every time one passes it, especially after opening and closing doors or eating.

There are additional requirements for students living on campus. No guests are permitted from other halls and if a student has someone over from another room in their hall, then there can only be two guests (one per roommate) at a time. Guests are to always wear masks.

To have non-Mercyhurst guests on campus, there is an additional form to fill out at https://go.mercyhurst.edu/register/covid19. It asks the guests for their name, purpose of visit, a COVID-19 questionnaire and an electronic survey.

For students involved in athletics, they have specific guidelines as well. There are no fall sporting events to limit contact with other schools. However, intramurals, club sports and NCAA division athletics are still practicing. Athletes are always required to wear masks when using the gym.

Equipment can be shared if it is disinfected before and after use. Students are to use their own water bottles and sanitize their hands before/after practice, using the restroom and eating.

Athletes should also wash their uniforms before wearing them again.

All information about Mercyhurst Athletics in COVID-19 times can be found at https://www.mercyhurst.edu/covid19/athletics.Traffic flow signs exist to limit contact with other people.If everyone follows the guidelines, the chances of continued in-person instruction on campus are higher.

Being safe is the best option for everyone; the more often rules are followed, the sooner life can go back to normal.