Campus gets consolidated social media account

Bella Lee, Staff writer

One of the most effective ways of keeping in touch with what is happening on campus is through social media platforms. Whether it’s Facebook or Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat, social media is one’s main ticket to finding out about campus events, special offers at dining services, and important dates on the academic calendar. Organizations and offices such as Mercyhurst Student Government and Campus Ministry have social media accounts. As well as this, many clubs have their own accounts, as do some residential areas and college departments. Now some of these groups are coming together on one Instagram account.The Campus Life Instagram has been up and running for just a little over two weeks, but they have already been very active. From club meeting information to pro-grams that Mercyhurst is offering, the account is off to an impressive start. Some of the posts they have already made include suggestions of where to use your OneCard funds, upcoming MAC/SAC events, information about the free student services offered on campus, and friendly reminders regarding COVID safety.“We will be posting information on meetings and events for Recognized Student Clubs and Organizations (RSCOs), as well as for other groups and offices across campus. Additionally, there will be opportunities for students to engage and interact with the accounts. This account was not only created to inform but to encourage student involvement,” Cam-pus Involvement graduate assistant and primary account content manager Cela Veitch, said. The idea of creating a social media account for Campus Life was something that had been considered for quite some time. “The Marketing Department teamed up with the Campus Involvement Center to create and revive various accounts because we found the need for a centralized social media presence for clubs and organizations,” said Leena Clint, Social Media, and Digital Marketing coordinator. “We hope that by creating these accounts, students will be more inclined to spend time thinking of unique ideas for content versus having to schedule or publish for each club individually.”This means each RSCO won’t need their own account to post photos or advertise an event. “The idea is that students will be able to navigate to one account to find out what’s happening over a wide range of clubs and organizations and advisors or club pres-idents won’t have to worry about maintaining or passing down social media accounts each year students graduate,” Clint said. If students have any ideas for content or information they would like to promote, reach out at rsco@mercyhurst.edu. There are currently no plans to expand to other social media forms yet but give them a follow on Instagram and Twitter @HurstCampusLife.