MAC/SAC seeks new programmers

MAC/SAC seeks new programmers

Ashley Barletta, Staff writer

As one walks around our stunning campus, they may come across the Student Union. This location has many great things, including the Roost. However, one of the most extraordinary things about the Student Union is that it is home to student activities every weekend.

The Multicultural Activities Council and the Student Activities Council, also known as MAC/SAC, have been hosting free events each weekend for students can participate in. These activities need to be planned out and hosted by students who are willing to take on the task of providing fun and entertainment through social and sometimes educational events here at Mercyhurst.

This year has been especially challenging due to the coronavirus pandemic, and it took a very determined and hardworking team of people to make the most of our current situation. MAC/SAC is now accepting applications for new programmers to plan and host weekend events throughout the school year.“Programmers are responsible for planning and working our free campus events every Friday and Saturday night throughout the semester,” said Braeden Barnett, Student Activities Council chair.MAC/SAC also works with the Mercyhurst Student Government (MSG) and other Recognized Student Clubs and Organizations (RSCOs) to get students involved on campus.

The job description is as follows: “A student leader who plans events every Friday and Saturday evening throughout the academic year. Most events are planned by two programmers, with the exception of some of our bigger traditions that require more help. MAC/SAC programmers focus on events aimed toward the entire Hurst community, which include social/recreational activities, multicultural initiatives, and spirit initiatives.”MAC/SAC programmers will need to be able to work with groups and create an inclusive environment for all students. They will also need to be creative thinkers because planning events for an entire student body is not an easy job to do. “The process to become a MAC/SAC programmer is pretty simple. All it takes is to fill out the application posted on MSG’s social media. After that, we will conduct interviews to get to know the applicants. Once those interviews are finished a collective committee will make final decisions and offers,” said Barnett.

Some of the students who have applied to become a MAC/SAC programmer will be chosen to have an interview once all of the applications are reviewed. Interviews for a programmer position will be held from Wednesday, Nov. 11 until Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020. Those hired for a programmer position will join MAC/SAC’s planning session on November 20. Barnett added, “Our programmers are students because they have the best pulse to what the student body would like to see. We offer events for students by students.